• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United States
ThemeFluent says

Where can we find information about Envato’s policy on authors ‘copying’ existing items and putting them up for sale, or copy/pasting the description of an existing item into their own new item description?

I see a few of these cases and know one that was reported to Envato staff more than a month ago but no action was taken. I’m not attempting to bring attention to this specific case or shame the author, I just want to know what the official policy is.

Is it somehow ok for new authors to copy other authors items, or to copy/paste the item descriptions word-for-word when they are not feeling creative or original?

1255 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

[...]

Having some rules about this would be great as I was and probably still am in the same situation.

5455 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

I would imagine the “company line” is, contact support. Seems to be the only way you would get a specific response.

On a side note, Each time I see your username i always think it says. ” Them Efluent”

581 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Send a DMCA takedown. Be ready for the legal implications of that.

24 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United States
ThemeFluent says

I am talking about cases where the original items are here on Envato marketplaces.

Two examples:

1. A new author purchases an item from an Envato marketplace and makes some small modification to it. The item is largely the same, but the new author submits it for sale as their own work after creating new description, images etc.

or

2. A new author creates an item that is probably different enough to be considered original, but bases it on the concept of an existing item. The new author then copy/pastes the description from the sales page of the existing item into his new items description.

In the above two cases, would a DMCA notice be the proper action to take?

In either case, it should be fairly obvious to Envato staff what happened if they look at the two items because they either have identical descriptions or item content.

1547 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United Kingdom
SoundFix says

Is it somehow ok for new authors to copy other authors items, or to copy/paste the item descriptions word-for-word when they are not feeling creative or original?

Yeah, that’s totally fine, but only when they are not feeling creative or original .

1255 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

I am talking about cases where the original items are here on Envato marketplaces.

Two examples:

1. A new author purchases an item from an Envato marketplace and makes some small modification to it. The item is largely the same, but the new author submits it for sale as their own work after creating new description, images etc.

or

2. A new author creates an item that is probably different enough to be considered original, but bases it on the concept of an existing item. The new author then copy/pastes the description from the sales page of the existing item into his new items description.

In either case, it should be fairly obvious to Envato staff what happened if they look at the two items because they either have identical descriptions or item content.

1. That would be easily taken down on a report via the support.

2. I do agree with you, if the Items are on pretty much the same a carbon copy description should never be allowed.

234 posts Premium Website Design
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeFusion says

Two examples:

or

Both of these scenarios are valid for a DMCA takedown. Simple as that.

5455 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Surely though if a similarly scripted/presented file is on Envato. The DMCA should be invoked by the Author ( seeking resolution ) and issued by Envato on his behalf.

Surely, the very fact that a file with similarly coded, appearance whatever has been published / allowed by Envato, they must bear some responsibility.

Merely screaming “DMCA” surely reflects badly n Envato if the issue is internal.

105 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • India
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
amardeep says

Envato is a marketplace… and generally speaking, in a market we tend to find similar items, we just have to find out the suitable product. I believe it would be hard to keep a track on similar items at this stage.

Cheers :)

by
by
by
by
by
by