5490 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

To be fair, Envato employs a “support is optional” policy, which authors should really be grateful for.

4647 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

To be fair, Envato employs a “support is optional” policy, which authors should really be grateful for.

And why should we be grateful?

We create items which can take months to create, which already come with support documentation and which is approved as a working item by Envato and all of this at a fraction of it’s true value. On a single sale from one buyer we don’t make a profit, in fact we actually make a loss on the time invested, we only make a profit after selling an item multiple times.

I think buyers should be grateful we provide free support, considering what they get is incredibly good value for money, and we already provide everything they need to use the item as it has been described before they decided to purchase it.

5490 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

Well.

Most industries, that sell 3rd party items, lets take a Motoring store, enforce their suppliers to warrant and support the items they sell via the store.

This way the store, can keep clients, and maintain control with very little accountability.

On Envato, the company recognises everything you stated, which is probably the primary reason they don’t actually enforce mandatory support. Which is good.

But clients never think like this, and expect everyone except themselves to be fully accountable and on tap 24/7.

Perhaps you missed the point

4647 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

When you buy a car or motor parts you’re buying it at retail price, cost plus markup.. the wholesaler makes a profit per item. Microstock is a completely different concept altogether. Next argument…

Envato clients should understand, when you buy a whole website for $40 there is going to be a catch, and support not being mandatory is one of them, the other is that your website is not going to be unique. If they wanted 24/7 support and a unique website, then they would be charged at retail price, so that the author makes a profit from the time invested.

If I sell an item at $40… and my hourly rate is $40 that I’d charge a client to work for them.. after 1hr of free support I’ve now broken even, because I could have spent that 1hr doing something else which could have made me money. So if one customer costs you a few hours support and they only gave you $40, then you can see how authors would not make any profit at all when you compare what you get paid and the hours invested. The system only works if you sell an item multiple times without investing more time per sale – only with occasional support for specific issues.

Anyways this is going off topic :D

5490 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

hence i said a motoring store, not a dealership. Google “motoring store” its where you buy parts to bolt on, update, customise your vehicle.

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
552 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says

I am always amused when someone brings up a valid point of discussion and someone else posts “get over it” or similar comments! :D a lot of the improvements here over the years were probably the result of these types of conversations. if something is not working then we should speak up and have a reasonable and intelligent conversation about it!

291 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
mariokulas says

I am always amused when someone brings up a valid point of discussion and someone else posts “get over it” or similar comments! :D a lot of the improvements here over the years were probably the result of these types of conversations. if something is not working then we should speak up and have a reasonable and intelligent conversation about it!

+1

174 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ZeroLink says

Let’s look at this objectively for a case that the rating system is flawed.

Some of the top selling themes although are 5 star items have over 100×1 star ratings. Those themes must be the best items since they have the highest sales, so why do they also have so many 1 star ratings? Are those buyers seeing something most aren’t or are they just abusing the system. I think the latter.

But because we can’t control what some individuals think or do, then the rating system is flawed because it doesn’t protect authors from abuse. Therefore Envato needs to rethink how the rating system works.

Perhaps a better system is, “Silver”, “Gold” and “Platinum” files based on rating. On their own they all sound good, and there is no negative connotation. And if all files here have to be high quality to be approved, then they should be at least be at default a 3 star or “Silver” item.

The rating system is simply doing it’s job, which is to reflect how customers feel about our projects. If a customer is ill-informed due to his or her own negligence and takes it out on the project itself, then that’s how the customer feel. Again, as I’ve said before, it’s the customer’s fault for giving an unfair 1 star rating, not the rating system or Envato for letting it happen. All of these work-arounds sound like they’ll take more effort to create for the same results. If 3 stars would be the lowest rating by default, then 3 stars would be the new 1 star, which would still make your project look bad if all you had were 3 stars.. and we’d be right back to square one.

Always amazes me why Envato, is identified as an unfair place for ratings and its system.

We need little bit patience while reading the complaints of other authors pal! Lets respect the time spent and frustration shared by people.

If you read the original post carefully, the root cause of the complaint is “buyer’s ability to change ratings any time without limits”. This is a definite flaw in the rating system – the problem is not just with the author or item. That’s different case.

A safer rating system will have some time span restriction to alter the ratings like 2 days, 1 week etc. That is enough to fix the problems like this. Currently it encourages buyers to blackmail while making support conversation with authors.

The root cause of OP’s complaint was how he was given an unfair 1 star rating. There was no complaining in the original post about how quickly it changed. I’m sure OP wouldn’t have had a problem if that initial 1 star rating was changed to a 5 star within a day, and kept that way by the customer vs having to have the customer wait 1 – 7 days. I’d also assume not all customers are going to mark it on their agenda to change a certain rating within the next 1 to 7 days… or even longer.

4647 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

If 3 stars would be the lowest rating by default, then 3 stars would be the new 1 star, which would still make your project look bad if all you had were 3 stars.. and we’d be right back to square one.

3 stars still looks better than 1 star though.. and since all items here have to be a certain standard, then we shouldn’t have items with an actual 1 star rating in the first place. If your item was 3 stars then it would just appear to be an average entry level file and not necessarily look bad, since the majority of items would be 3 stars.

174 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ZeroLink says

If 3 stars would be the lowest rating by default, then 3 stars would be the new 1 star, which would still make your project look bad if all you had were 3 stars.. and we’d be right back to square one.
3 stars still looks better than 1 star though.. and since all items here have to be a certain standard, then we shouldn’t have items with an actual 1 star rating in the first place. If your item was 3 stars then it would just appear to be an average entry level file and not necessarily look bad, since the majority of items would be 3 stars.

Now we’re just going based off of what looks good to us, the authors, and not how the buyers truly feel. That’s abusing the system. Wouldn’t that be unfair for the customers that truly have horrible experiences with the project they purchased? Rather they can’t contact the author, or the author is being completely rude, or whatever the case may be.

edit: I don’t know how it is over at Themeforest or the other sites, but on VH the reviewers can only judge a project based off of it’s aesthetics and usability. They cannot speak for millions and default the ratings 3 stars. Customer service plays a huge role in this, and that’s something the reviewers can’t judge… not for millions of people at least.

by
by
by
by
by
by