730 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Checked the forums for this, and didn’t find anything, so here it goes! (sorry if it’s already been proposed)

If you’ve ever been on iTunes you will notice a “Staff favorites” (or favorites for you Americans :) page that has some staff picks from each week. Somewhat like the featured track / author page, but more in depth.

I think a new page with say a top 10 to 20 ( or more?) staff pics would be great. They shouldn’t only be new files either…just files that you guys at Envato are really enjoying at the moment.

Honestly, I have found so many files in the iTunes staff section that I would never have found otherwise and purchased a lot of them because my taste was many times right in line with theirs…after all, there was a reason why they were chosen to do what they do.

Also, as I browse through some of the files on AJ, every now I find a track that I can’t believe hasn’t sold well….the only thing I can think of is lack of exposure, or just uploaded at the wrong time when people weren’t looking for that particular sound. This would make a great area to give great compositions another shot (rather then just the bargain basement.

Thoughts?

241 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+8 more
BCrutchfield Envato team says

For site manager favorites, and stuff like that, check this:

http://audiojungle.net/collections/380517-audiojungle-site-manager-selections

As far as I know this one hasn’t been updated in some time, but I’m not sure.

Also, if you really think about it, featured files of the week are essentially staff favorites, and you can look at the last 6 months of them here :

http://audiojungle.net/feature

2672 posts
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Great idea, Tim! :) I have a collection I made a while back if you’d like to have a look/listen:

http://audiojungle.net/collections/380517-audiojungle-site-manager-selections

Maybe reviewers, authors and customers could create collections of their personal favorites also? :)

• Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Hey guys,

Thanks for the links :)

BC: You’re right about the features essentially being staff favs, the thing is however they are typically newer files, and it would be good to see older files too other than in the B.B.

Scott: Thanks for the link to the collection! I actually didn’t know about it, however that may highlight a point….there are currently 24,740 collections, and that it’s why I didn’t see it…after about the first 5 pages no one really wants to keep looking through very far.

But you guys are probably right, there are enough avenues to showcase content in the way I was mentioning.

My main concern comes with sites as they grow in content and complexity, and that is what this suggesstion really stems from, just searching for opportunities to make AJ better then it is (though it’s already awesome).

As things grow, often times things that made something great in the beginning start to disappear in a trade off for that growth. The greatest potential downfall for all stock audio sites is the inability to get “good music heard.” Step one is obvious, and that’s happening for the most part in my eyes already – filter out the “junk” an keep the quality of content high.

What happens however when you then have 1000’s of high quality composers, musicians and producers but only a small window of opportunity for exposure? Eventually they leave, not because they want to, but they can’t stay competitive within the established models. They can’t continue to dedicate the amount of time it takes to produce those high quality tracks without the corresponding exposure.

Now of course the usual will happen – track prices gradually increase over time (in 3 years the top selling price won’t be $13), as do percentages, but to truly stay competitive on a global scale everyone should be thinking of ways to improve continually… not just the staff, because if you are serious about selling music here, your fate lies in the site’s ability to succeed, and theirs in the authors ability to continually supply good content for large lengths of time.

I am happy with AJ, SERIOUSLY :)

But like in chess, it is much better to think ahead ;)

How did I get here from a suggestion about a staff music page?? haha

2672 posts
+16 more

Scott: Thanks for the link to the collection! I actually didn’t know about it, however that may highlight a point….there are currently 24,740 collections, and that it’s why I didn’t see it…after about the first 5 pages no one really wants to keep looking through very far.

No problem! :) We’ve had this particular collection featured many times on the home page throughout the year. :)

What happens however when you then have 1000’s of high quality composers, musicians and producers but only a small window of opportunity for exposure? Eventually they leave, not because they want to, but they can’t stay competitive within the established models. They can’t continue to dedicate the amount of time it takes to produce those high quality tracks without the corresponding exposure.

I disagree that they will leave. Does a writer stop selling books on Amazon.com just because there are millions of other authors/books? No. If the book is good enough, it will still sell and it will still be read. It’s exactly the same with audio. If it’s good enough and/or there is a demand for it, it will sell.

HOWEVER , I know what you are ultimately getting at. :) And I can assure that on top of all the things we currently do to feature your work (home page promotions, collections, tracks of the day on Twitter, featured author, featured files, the thousands of people who have downloaded/listened to the AJ podcast in iTunes, blog features etc…), we still have a few more things up our sleeve. :) The most important one in my opinion which will happen over the next 12 months is a huge improvement to search. Allowing customers to tailor search queries much better will help customers find what they are looking for a lot quicker. And we have lots of plans to improve this. :)

Also, Tim, it’s VERY important that authors understand it’s not just about exposure that AudioJungle does. To use the writer analogy again, it’s not just good enough writing a book and putting it in a bookstore. Writers need to promote their own work/books by going on TV shows, radio shows, having their own blog, signing books at bookstores etc… And the same applies to audio/music. Authors should not rely on the having their files on the home page to guarantee success. Most of the tracks on the Popular Files page for example, they’re not on the home page day in, day out. Yet they continue to sell well. And they’re probably selling well because customers know/find good audio when they hear it and they’ll buy/use it based on quality, not necessarily where it is located on the site. I’ve said this many, many times before, but having work on the home page is great, it’s definitely helpful, and it’s nice, but it’s not the “holy grail” to becoming a successful author. Marketing and promotion that authors do too will also always help. Using social media, having your own blog, plugging your audio in e-mail signatures and on other forums/Web sites, as well as using the AudioJungle Audio Player on your own site/blog to promote your music – these are just some ways authors can promote their own stock audio on AudioJungle.

Again, I totally understand where you are coming from, Tim, a lot of new AJ authors ask the same questions when they upload content and it might not sell straight away, but being successful at stock audio is about patience, consistency, producing music regularly, and being prepared for a marathon, not a sprint. Some of the biggest selling authors on AudioJungle focus on quality and regularly submit new items to keep their portfolio fresh and in the eyes and ears of potential new customers.

I hope this feedback helps a little. :) There’s no magic formula unfortunately, but I’m a believer that authors who dedicate time and hard work while being consistent with the quality of their submissions are always putting their best foot forward.

• Won a competition
  • Located in Canada
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Hey Scott,

Lots of awesome advice there!

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and am in the works of doing multiple off site things to promote my own work, and that it definitely key like you said.

If the book is good enough, it will still sell and it will still be read.
I would say that many times things sell not because they are good – but because they are right for what is desired…which in this case however is pretty much = to good…and I am learning that fast. Better to have a “right” track that sells, then a “good” track that doesn’t.

I wasn’t actually thinking of myself when I wrote the post however. I am actually surprised at the rate at things are going for me (in a good way),..I came here not long ago at all as you know, but with a “marathon” mentality as you put it,... I’m not going anywhere any time soon …. but I am more concerned about others who might not have the same amount of time to write and promote themselves like I can.

But again, you covered all the bases.

One thing I know for sure, success doesn’t come to you – you go to it.

EDIT : By the way Scott, I think you do an awesome job here, really.

2672 posts
+16 more
EDIT : By the way Scott, I think you do an awesome job here, really.

Ha, ha, thanks, Tim, I appreciate it! :) Lots more work to do though, but I have my sleeves rolled-up. :D

328 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
palmtreep says

Great discussion guys :) Lot’s of good information here. Going back to the whole promotion thing and what not, I think I do a fairly good job at promoting my music. It’s nice and everything to have your audio featured on the main page, but after about a day, it’s pretty much gone off of the main page.

However, most of the audio I sell are the older stuff. The newer stuff gets love too, but I’m still getting customers to buy the first two or three files I ever uploaded here.

Scott, looking forward to seeing the new search improvement. As a buyer as well as an author, I’ve had some trouble getting what I needed in the search (from AD, GR and VH).

Speaking of that, if an author doesn’t tag their files as well as others, will that effect this new search improvement system? I’ve seen some authors label their files really well and others, not so much. Just curious about that. I do understand that it is also still a work in progress (or still on paper anyway :P).

Thanks again guys!

688 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+5 more
robGD Volunteer moderator says

I think a “Reviewers” accolade is in order. What I would like to see is a new and featured page fully blown out with 4 authors and the last 30 “Reviewers Choice” files. A featured genre would also be good for this page. It’s basically like a great “promote the new guys” area. The popular page has all the top sellers on it. So that’s covered. Now it’s time to pass the new guys a little page to be featured. Make the link read “Discover New Authors”. It would also be a really fun job to create for someone…hint…;)

The top authors really have it nailed. Just as an example, I watched a user create an account and blow by me in sales for my year in his new account in 2 months. Rather breath taking thing to watch. Great work. It raises my hopes for what can be achieved with hard work and time spent. I’m learning from their examples every day. Great ideas all around. Being a lap around the marathon track, I feel I’m going to have a good run.

328 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
palmtreep says

Very nicely said Rob :) Couldn’t have said it better myself :)

by
by
by
by
by
by