• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

Outsourcing the project seems like a simple solution, but I think it would be foolish for a company with assets like Envato to give up even partial control over distribution of its trademark, so I certainly don’t blame them for not going that route.

understandable, but having such a rubbish search function for a company with assets like envato is foolish, too :) Sometimes outsourcing is smarter if you cannot do it yourself, and makes you look less like an idiot than to try and fail. I’d love to see some marketplace functions in the hands of experienced people, not the trial-and-error approach it has now with all the incremental design changes, search function tryouts, several A/B tests at a time that makes all of the data useless and untested deploys that destroys the whole marketplaces, sales, comments, items etc like we have seen some days ago.

hm… now I got sad again. Sorry for that.

3671 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Not to mention, imagine the blowback from the community if Envato launched a merch store without first resolving all the most-wanted features for the existing marketplaces. That’s got to be the priority.

I don’t think I agree with you on that one. The community is smart enough to realise that releasing a merch store would not mean that all the devs suddely dropped their usual (and important!) tasks. Merch would definitely be well-received ;)

115 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
EndlessLab says

If an Envato Magazine will be created, something i will buy :D

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Not to mention, imagine the blowback from the community if Envato launched a merch store without first resolving all the most-wanted features for the existing marketplaces. That’s got to be the priority.
I don’t think I agree with you on that one. The community is smart enough to realise that releasing a merch store would not mean that all the devs suddely dropped their usual (and important!) tasks. Merch would definitely be well-received ;)

Of course, certainly many authors would understand that :)

But every time something new is launched that isn’t one of the top 5 most requested features, various authors come out of the woodwork saying “why are you wasting your time on X when we need search/shopping cart/cats on roombas??”.

They may be a vocal minority, but there are plenty of people around here who would see a merch store as a distraction from where the focus “should” be.

Anyway, I’m really not arguing against a merch store – I’d be happy to see one. I’m just trying to provide some explanation for those who are wondering why it hasn’t become a reality as to why (1) it may not be as simple in reality as it sounds in theory, and (2) given that it’s unlikely to be as highly profitable as Envato’s other endeavors and they have more important things to focus on, (3) it likely isn’t a priority. That’s all :)

by
by
by
by
by
by