• Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Romania
+1 more
salutovidiu says

Today I had one of the worst surprises in a long long while. I`ve told a client about my portfolio here and he immediately dumped me as far as the work goes. Here`s some of his feedback and after some further research mine.

Plagiarism. As long a plagiarism does NOT have direct consequence people will do it over and over again hoping that the author the`re copying from does not notice. I know that ideas will overlap here and there, it`s only natural. But blatant plagiarism should be banable. Refund to the customers might not be a bad idea also.

Weak quality. Especially on the logo section, although clearly visible on all sections. I know Envato is trying to compete with 99piecesofshit and get some potential clients from there, but this is still really bad. Potential customers have little faith in the site overall when sorting through 10 pages of useless shit to find what they need. Submitting a portfolio before being accepted as author might alleviate the problem somehow.

Ridiculous forums. “Hello I`m 21 years today”, Is Random country day”, “I got xxx sales”, etc. This is particularly offensive to the authors since the forums should be centered on design topics / staff announcements etc. I get so tired filtering through dozens of random useless topics. Personally this is the main reason I gave up on using the forums.

Thank you.

5204 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

Sorry to hear that salutovidiu. If I may, I can speak to your forum comments. As this is a global and thriving community, we are never going to restrict it to posts that only fall within a design/staff talk category. As our forum rules state:

We invite all users who wish to participate, give feedback, or have their say to do so!

If we took to policing the forums to only select subjects and topics, you would find this community would dry up pretty quick. We love our community and part of what makes it special is that we share information about our interests and lives along with helping one another out.

596 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
MikeMoloney says

I am not trying to be mean, but you are really seeing alot of the negative in Envato. Firstly Envato does take plagiarism very seriously. In case you didn’t notice numerous top authors have been banned permanently for this reason alone. Secondly, why the need to swear, you talk about the forums being ridiculous yet you have the nerve to swear and rant? Again, I am not trying to be rude or anything, I just think you are being a bit pessimistic. I think Envato is doing quite well when it comes to plagiarism, forum topics, and other things.

CreativeSource_online
CreativeSource_online Recent Posts Threads Started
91 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
CreativeSource_online says

agree with the xstortionist, what he said.

But I think in my opinion Your client has wrong thinking or misunderstanding about the ENVATO .

About Plagiarism, envato always tries to make their marketplace as unique as possible. Reviewers will reject your file if it closely match with any existing item. There are huge files in here so sometime they also mistake. we have to know that they are also humans.

About weak quality, I didn’t see better quality graphic stuff in any other site yet, I’m using net about 3 years. It is a very big and increasing community. So when big number of people gather it is natural that all will not in same level. Some are experts and some are new, so the works of them also differ but we have a quality standard [which reviewers strictly follows] and that is much higher from others.

About Ridiculous forums, This is the best Forum in my opinion. ENVATO separated and maintained the forum very wel in my opinionl. We can post separate topic in separate category. Graphicriver, Item discussion, Item requests, site feedback, off topics, etc all are well organized. Some time mistakes happens it’s natural. If you need to read some suggestions and you search in off topic category, you will got nothing. In here all authors helps each other. :)

Hope you understand and didn’t take me wrong. You should tell your client about that. We are here and we know how it is. We are really great.

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

I dont really understand the point… its probably my mistake because of my English. Is your client dumped you, because you have items on Envato? What do you mean Plagiarism? Most of the items if not all are templates, or tools. Its called Artwork, but this is definitely not Art. The template itself determinate that fact, the final product will be a mainstream design not unique, not taylor made and if would ask me, in my opinion not even a Creative way. About the weakness of the quality… yes probably there is some item which is not the best, i agree. But how is this affect your own portfolio? Why is that matters to your client or why is he cares how other authors has low quality? i dont really understand. This is a market, and not a fine art Gallery. Items here is not working like an exhibition where you have unique arts and people are buy that and hang or stand in their room. The comments mostly comes from other authors, rarely from buyers. If somebody achieve nice sales i think it should be a motivation and not something a reason for envy. Im really sorry if i misunderstood the post. im telling again if i misunderstood, thats because my english, so sorry in advance. Is there anything i misunderstood?

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

your portfolio is great, cant understand your client. I bet %99 of 99s@#tdesigns service providers are visiting Envato’s marketplaces for “ideas” and “inspiration”. If your client wants to see real plagarism, he just need to have a look at the 99designs gigs.

1113 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bangladesh
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
WonderArt says

agree with the …....

agree with you.

thomas07 says I bet %99 of 99s@#tdesigns service providers are visiting Envato’s marketplaces for “ideas” and “inspiration”. If your client wants to see real plagarism, he just need to have a look at the 99designs gigs.

+1 … definitely..

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Regarding the 99. Just checked that place and the system. The idea is not bad. Contest is always a good way. But not a warranty for the client he will get a genuine thing. There is an another problem which is not too very good for the designers, especially for those designers who are real creatives and invest 100% energy into create a real and unique logo. Let me explain. If you go to a restaurant and you have a menu, you have an broadly idea what you would like to eat thats fine if you can choose in between 50 different things. But dont forget, you have already choosen a restaurant. Instead the clients over there 99th street, just standing on the street, they would like to get something what they have seen before in a place, but they have only some few bucks in their pocket. So they Standing with a board on the street the board says I want Caviar, and Champaign or Oyster or whatever for 1$. Bring me as much and as much good you can. All the Restaurants are jumps and prepare the food, and bring to him on silver plates. Then he choose like a king. 1 Are you sure all the restaurants are really gives him they 100% in this situation? 2. Have you ever think about that that guy in actually just selling those Caviars and Champagnes on the next boulevard in a posh place where is no staff? 3. If any person have to choose from too many options – especially good options -, thats not a good thing at all. They can easily being confused. Thats a very basic psychological fact.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

and to add to dekurvajos comment,

Designers and design students must stop supporting speculative work, i personaly cant understand this “design contests” kind of business model and i never support such idea. For sure it is big advantage on the client side, but ethically is not right. You cant eat a dinner at restaurant and pay only if you liked the food. From the other side, i highly believe 99designs is mostly used by real Design Agencies as a “mockup source” for their own clients projects. Here is how it may work: Gigs are posted by agencies to get as much as possible mockups first. Then collected mockups are submited to the actual client as the agency own work (the client never know where this mockups are collected from), and feedback is requested. Based on the client feedback, the agency ask services proviers at 99designs to submit new mockups…and so on. Once the client has choosen a concept, the agency closes the gig at 99 without awarding anyone on there. Woaala, the magic is there, the agency has now a great concept for totaly free. Then since the idea is already there and approved by the client, the agency can very fast reproduce the work in-house. In other words, places like 99designs become a great “free ideas source” for agencies.

844 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
chrisatlemon says

1) on topic: You have a nice portfolio, I don’t understand why your customer may have dumped you. Maybe he looked at someone else’s portfolio and you forgot to mention that what other people do here has nothing to do with what you do here?

I’m not sure I understand why you lose a customer with your strong portfolio and why that would be Envato’s fault?

2) off topic: These bidding sites are pure evil. All they do is make designers work for free. It’s called spec work:

http://www.no-spec.com/faq/

it’s like calling 10 plumbers to fix your tubing, have them tighten a screw each, and then only pay one and tell the others shuffle off …

Cheers

Chris

by
by
by
by
by
by