• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+5 more
JoshuaSprague Staff says

Hi guys! We have just recently past the halfway mark for this most wanted event and I was hoping to get a feel for where you are all at on this one. Are there some of you out there still working on submissions? If so chime in and let me know so we can determine how best to proceed :)

675 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Philippines
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
dexterous says

Hi guys! We have just recently past the halfway mark for this most wanted event and I was hoping to get a feel for where you are all at on this one. Are there some of you out there still working on submissions? If so chime in and let me know so we can determine how best to proceed :)

Symphony has a slightly steep learning curve, but it is a really good CMS when you get a hang of it. I am still working for my submission, should take about a week more. I will really appreciate if the deadline can be increased slightly for this MW.

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

I’m working on an updated (more advanced version) of already submitted theme. After that another theme will be submitted. If all goes well and fast there will be more themes on my end ;)

Cheers.

43 posts
  • Turkey
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
YTolun says

l am working on a theme and it’ll be my first theme on ThemeForest. Really excited!

16 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Vishu says

I’m working on a theme ensemble, will be submitting soon, it has been an awesome learning experience, really excited for this one!! :)

1 post
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • United Kingdom
mayjay says
I’m not criticizing TF team or something, I’ve in fact started very enthusiastically learning symphony CMS ever-since i read this new announcement, but I’ve soon discovered that their is sheer dearth of updated material and help section over the internet. And it appears to me that Symphony is a dying technology and not an emerging one. I just wanted to convey my these observations to the TF Staff.

I’ve been exploring this CMS lately too and found it “dying” aswell and looked elsewhere. The main part that makes it dying is XSLT, it has no place in modern web development. It’s ridiculously hard to learn, definately not something for developers only concentrated in frontend work. Any other templating language I’ve run into produces a clearly understandable template, even if you don’t know the language. An XSLT template is hard to grasp even if you know the language.

Also, the CMS doesn’t come with i18n support. I understand it’s suppost to be minimalistic CMS out of the box, which is great, but i18n/l10n is something I expect from any CMS/CMF. It’s silly to see localizable strings jammed into templates.

What I like about Symphony is its overall architecture – sections, entries and events. However the database structure is way too abstracted, resulting in slow and hardly searchable site. The configuration data is also stored in database making version control hard. There are plans storing configurations in XML, but that seems passé too when there are things like JSON.

The data oriented backend is great, but makes me wonder who is the CMS made for. On one hand you need to be programmer kind of person for XSLT templating, on other you’ve been provided with a point-and-click administration panel to buil all your site’s data structures. I’m not saying these kind of people don’t exist, but there’s definately not many of them.

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

I’m not criticizing TF team or something, I’ve in fact started very enthusiastically learning symphony CMS ever-since i read this new announcement, but I’ve soon discovered that their is sheer dearth of updated material and help section over the internet. And it appears to me that Symphony is a dying technology and not an emerging one. I just wanted to convey my these observations to the TF Staff.

I’ve been exploring this CMS lately too and found it “dying” aswell and looked elsewhere. The main part that makes it dying is XSLT, it has no place in modern web development. It’s ridiculously hard to learn, definately not something for developers only concentrated in frontend work. Any other templating language I’ve run into produces a clearly understandable template, even if you don’t know the language. An XSLT template is hard to grasp even if you know the language.

Also, the CMS doesn’t come with i18n support. I understand it’s suppost to be minimalistic CMS out of the box, which is great, but i18n/l10n is something I expect from any CMS/CMF. It’s silly to see localizable strings jammed into templates.

What I like about Symphony is its overall architecture – sections, entries and events. However the database structure is way too abstracted, resulting in slow and hardly searchable site. The configuration data is also stored in database making version control hard. There are plans storing configurations in XML, but that seems passé too when there are things like JSON.

The data oriented backend is great, but makes me wonder who is the CMS made for. On one hand you need to be programmer kind of person for XSLT templating, on other you’ve been provided with a point-and-click administration panel to buil all your site’s data structures. I’m not saying these kind of people don’t exist, but there’s definately not many of them.

Interesting assessment. I agree with a number of these things. In particular I love the structure and design of Symphony and other systems like it, but find XSLT cumbersome and difficult. I fell the same way about Umbraco. I would love to be part of the development of a CMS like this without any XSLT.

I would love to get together with like-minded developers and designers to either build a new CMS or fork an existing one to address these specific issues. This sounds like an opportunity. I wonder what the plans from the Symphony gang are and if there are any thoughts on moving away from requiring XSLT?

440 posts
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
ShaneFreer Staff says

Update: Closing date extended!

The closing date has been extended to Monday October 07 2013. Thats over a month left to submit your Symphony theme’s :)

675 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Philippines
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+1 more
dexterous says

Update: Closing date extended!

The closing date has been extended to Monday October 07 2013. Thats over a month left to submit your Symphony theme’s :)

This is great News. Whether Dying or not, Symphony is easily the best CMS that I have ever worked with.

by
by
by
by
by
by