• Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
journeythemes says

Awesome contest! :)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
jessefogarty says

I love your contests however, I don’t love this contest.

Directories are a large part of the spam black-hat SEO techniques which most spammer utilize. We all know that black-hat is unethical and that for those of us who only implement white-hat techniques and strive to deliver high-quality campaigns this is going opening up a wave of directories and well spam.

Again, love the contests. Just can’t agree with what you’re promoting. Directories have no other use than spam. Want to find something/someone or a business near you Google, Yellow Pages. No one uses random directories ….. other then for spam.

1135 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Directories are a large part of the spam black-hat SEO techniques which most spammer utilize. We all know that black-hat is unethical and that for those of us who only implement white-hat techniques and strive to deliver high-quality campaigns this is going opening up a wave of directories and well spam.

Again, love the contests. Just can’t agree with what you’re promoting. Directories have no other use than spam. Want to find something/someone or a business near you Google, Yellow Pages. No one uses random directories ….. other then for spam.

If I’m looking to buy or sell something I never use google or yellow pages, instead I use the directory websites available in my country, which I TRUST.

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
Aristeidis says

I completely disagree with this. I understand that there has been a saturation of opportunistic use of directories for an easy passive income, but I’m sure that’s fading out. Look at airbnb or Sharedesk. Are those sketchy directory websites? I don’t think so.

As you said, directories represent a huge sector and can be used both in a bad, or a good and creative way.

2 posts
  • Located in Poland
witkowski says

Great, thank you

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
lifemasterylabs says

An utterly ridiculous – short sighted – silly simplification that makes zero sense to anyone with a serious understanding of either the local marketing landscape – or the opportunity that creating an authority site using the directory model offers.

Good directories are everywhere – and are not only valuable assets for forward thinking entrepreneurs – but done properly – and empowered by good templates (exemplified by some created and offered here on TF) are also great resources for the public as well.

There are so many possible permutations for directories in niches, markets and industries that aren’t covered by Yellow pages (really??) .....or by even by Google – or Yelp for that matter – that the comment above is indicative of a developer who I would bet has zero experience with real ideas – or niche marketing – or online innovation – or in truth – is imbued with any basic entrepreneurial smarts or spirit at all.

The truth is – I for one am eagerly looking forward to what comes out of this contest – and I know others that are as well – and the idea of their usage being limited to “black hat” techniques or traffic – never entered the equation until reading the sort of outlandish assessment above ;-)

17 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
AloisFN says

An utterly ridiculous – short sighted – silly simplification that makes zero sense to anyone with a serious understanding of either the local marketing landscape – or the opportunity that creating an authority site using the directory model offers.

Good directories are everywhere – and are not only valuable assets for forward thinking entrepreneurs – but done properly – and empowered by good templates (exemplified by some created and offered here on TF) are also great resources for the public as well.

There are so many possible permutations for directories in niches, markets and industries that aren’t covered by Yellow pages (really??) .....or by even by Google – or Yelp for that matter – that the comment above is indicative of a developer who I would bet has zero experience with real ideas – or niche marketing – or online innovation – or in truth – is imbued with any basic entrepreneurial smarts or spirit at all.

The truth is – I for one am eagerly looking forward to what comes out of this contest – and I know others that are as well – and the idea of their usage being limited to “black hat” techniques or traffic – never entered the equation until reading the sort of outlandish assessment above ;-)

Whilst not necessarily agreeing with tone of the comment I agree completely with the points you make.

10 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Spain
Angel11v says

Perfect!

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
mafteiga says

Could this contest be extended also to directory plugins ? I have in mind 2 or 3 codecanyon’s plugins that are complying with many of the requirements.

10 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Spain
Angel11v says

by
by
by
by
by
by