12 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Netherlands
ThemesMODX says

The endless possibilities of combinations between chunks, templates, snippets make it pretty much impossible to have a theme applied to an already existing site structure. Am i missing something?
You are right, It is a issue that has been bothering me as well. My Theme is almost done, but when installed with a existing MODX site getting all the content in the right place will be quite some work.

There is no way to ‘set’ a fixed theme structure. I call my sidebar content ‘sidebar’ but you might call it ‘theme-sidebar’. There are no templating rules and this is only a very basic example.

The total freedom of MODX does affect it’s usefulness for existing sites as a theme. MODX themes will work best for new projects and fresh installs.

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Webdesignn says
597 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+7 more
simonswiss says

There is no way to ‘set’ a fixed theme structure. I call my sidebar content ‘sidebar’ but you might call it ‘theme-sidebar’. There are no templating rules and this is only a very basic example. The total freedom of MODX does affect it’s usefulness for existing sites as a theme. MODX themes will work best for new projects and fresh installs.

Maybe Envato should come up with a set of theme structure guidelines to follow, so buyers know that when buying a theme from ThemeForest, they should be able to transfer their current content fairly easily by either migrating from another TF MODX theme or by following a step-by-step procedure..

Of course we will include the theme structure in the documentation, but still if all themes have a similar core setup, it would probably be a good start.

I guess the reflexion is the same than the ‘phase 2’ WordPress theme development guidelines with custom features in plugins instead of theme, to achieve just that: a smooth transition from one theme to another.

5 posts
  • Located in Canada
jaygilmore says

Hey folks. I don’t think that Envato should be the ones to come up with theme structure, necessarily as they’re not likely to be familiar with the most common methods for structuring MODX sites. I do not think, however, that MODX Themes can ever be like WordPress Themes where you can install and activate and change the whole look and feel for your site. The only way you could achieve this is if there were some standard developed that allowed for consistency between ThemeForest themes, but then, you’d not be able to just drop that into a site that was previously not on a theme.

It’s a valid problem and discussion worth having, to enable some form of loose but standard naming and structure. Especially where chunks and TVs are concerned, I am not sure how you can deal with this. You cannot have two elements (chunks, TVs, snippets, plugins or templates) with the same name. I wonder if the only thing you can do is provide a breakdown of the structure of the views and where they’re located and what the elements are named.

Feel free to share your thoughts.

597 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Located in Australia
+7 more
simonswiss says

Question to the envato staff – would a “Under Construction Page” MODX theme be accepted?

The theme would be just a single page with a countdown, with no other pages. The reason behind using MODX would be that every single bit of the page (colours, text strings, icons, signup form validation messages etc) can be manipulated from the theme options, so buyers with no HTML / CSS skills could just customise the page from the theme options panel.

Are there some sort of minimal requirements for MODX themes (multi-page, blog, etc) or would that sort of theme have a chance to be accepted?

468 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in Australia
+6 more
ShaneFreer Envato team says

Question to the envato staff – would a “Under Construction Page” MODX theme be accepted?

The theme would be just a single page with a countdown, with no other pages. The reason behind using MODX would be that every single bit of the page (colours, text strings, icons, signup form validation messages etc) can be manipulated from the theme options, so buyers with no HTML / CSS skills could just customise the page from the theme options panel.

Are there some sort of minimal requirements for MODX themes (multi-page, blog, etc) or would that sort of theme have a chance to be accepted?

There are no minimum requirements. A landing page is fine.

597 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Located in Australia
+7 more
simonswiss says

Great, thank you for the answer!

12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
Webdesignn says

When transport.zip is installed php notice appears:

PHP notice: Undefined index: templates

but template is being installed successfully.

How to fix this notice?

1 post
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Italy
sicomunicaweb says

Hi guy. Can i upload a theme for ModX Evolution?

5 posts
  • Located in Canada
jaygilmore says

When transport.zip is installed php notice appears:

PHP notice: Undefined index: templates

but template is being installed successfully.

How to fix this notice?

We’re working on debugging this issue. If the package installs correctly, it’s quite possibly a bug in the ThemePackagerComponent. We’ll continue to investigate and provide an update later today.

by
by
by
by
by
by