• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Slovakia
+1 more
DoubleX says

Just wondering if you have ever been in this kind of situation. I create projects in CS4 and use CS5 for rendering and freelance work. I created project in CS4 and there were a lot of text layers (about 200) and every text layer had expression for “Source Text”. When I was done with project, I wanted to do my first preview render to see, if everything is OK, so I opened CS5 , set up my render and then I started to get these two errors while rendering:
After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking rendering plug-in “Advanced 3D”
or
After Effects can’t continue: damaged item.
I got both errors also while just preview (RAM) rendering. Not both came up at the same time, always only one of them stopped rendering. No error while preview rendering in CS4 , only CS5 . I tried to customize it and resave in CS5 , same errors. I tried to render without OpenGL, tried to reinstall CS5 , same errors. I used google, found threads where a lot of expressions was mentioned as one of causes of these problems. So I reduced text layers to 135 and after that, no error. I rendered it like 5 times with different settings, and everything was working. Have you ever been in this kind of situation? Any thoughts?
My actual pc configuration: Core i7-3770K, 16GB RAM , Sapphire HD4850 , Win 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks for replies, DoubleX

280 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
johnnybd says

Sounds like the amount of Text Layers is what got CS5 to choke while CS4 easily handled it, its probably something in the kernel (just had to use that word) that Adobe modified when creating CS5 , Few questions out of curiosity, those are steps of precaution for me whenever AE starts giving me those “Advanced 3D” errors

1) Did you try opening that project on a Mac with CS5 before reducing the layers ? (used to work in a place which had PCs and Macs, ended up rendering files on the Macs only because of those OpenGL plugin/driver related errors)

2) Was Depth of Field or Motion Blur on? Did you try disabling these ?

3) BGRenderer by Lloyd Alvarez helped me a lot in those situations, since its a command-line render in times like these it could work flawlessly as it works without using any OpenGL .

487 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+1 more
DoubleX says

1. No I didn’t try opening it on a Mac, I don’t have any and probably never will.
2. Yes, both were turned on. I tried rendering it without DoF, same errors, I’m not sure right now if I also tried rendering it without Motion Blur. I have to add that also CC Force Motion Blur was used.
3. I’ll check it out, but I want my projects to work without any 3rd software help :)

280 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
johnnybd says

My guess would be that it could be something to do with Motion Blur (native or CC Force) And BGRenderer is a script, it just renders in the background so you could still use AE or Quit it while its rendering.

49 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
telecast says

Have you tried to load the project with Caps Lock turned on ? If it loads correctly and AE doesn’t crash I would have tried deleting 1-2 text layers, then turn the Caps Lock off and try to find what exactly causes the issue. Best.

487 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovakia
+1 more
DoubleX says

telecast there wasn’t any problem with loading project. There was problem with error which came up after cca 15 min. of rendering. I didn’t try caps lock which turns of preview frames as far as I know. As I said, I want my projects to work without any “special orders to prevent it from crashing” :) Hopefully I won’t meet these errors in my next project, it will be full of text again.

by
by
by
by
by
by