• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Jordan
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
uouapps says

Hello Everyone,

Certain buyers are quite demanding and can sometimes become very annoying/unpleasant and expect the author to offer him/her a 24/7 concierge otherwise they will give a low rating to your item

Whether the Buyer/Prospect is unhappy, impatient or demanding, I think that they should respect a Code of Conduct in their way of interacting with the Author whether it’s via the comments zone or via PM

I’m proposing that Envato reinforces or pushes further this code of conduct towards Buyers so that we can all work in a respectable & proper enviornment without needing to continuousely flag vulgar, unpleasant and arrogant buyers/prospects

Thank you for your feedback,

Cheers

UOU Apps

1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

+1000000000000000000000000000000000

475 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
FlatKing says

+1 – requested staff reply

1730 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
SamBerson says

+1

94 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
erwin_schro says

I’m happy with only +10 on this

5180 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

The art of buyer/client communication is a constant learning process for freelancers :) I’ve had many experiences both good and bad during my freelance career that taught me a lot about managing expectations and troubleshooting disagreements.

It’s not always easy, but responding in a calm, professional manner is always the way to go. Some buyers you’ll be able to win back, while other may still respond poorly. In those cases you need to be able to provide whatever help you deem reasonable and learn to walk away with your dignity and peace of mind still intact. Learning that can be a career long struggle but it’s an essential tool if you want to survive the freelance market :)

Here’s a few articles that may help as well: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/8-lessons-to-help-web-designers-educate-their-clients--webdesign-2796

http://business.tutsplus.com/articles/17-ways-to-use-active-listening-techniques-in-online-communication--fsw-3671

http://blog.microlancer.com/good-communication-the-backbone-of-an-online-business/
1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Well actually no. This is not an ordinary freelancing job. In my opinion it does not apply here, since if you have to be Freud with every customer there is well then i should charge them a psychiatric fee :) in themeforest case the process should point in automation direction not personal direction.

If that’s the case why all those copy paste emails in review responds :)

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

It is impossible to make the buyers behave. It is more about their personal thing.

What we can do is guiding them what they can expect here as technical support from authors – and clarifying what not. See this issue from that point of view.

Obviously you are talking about ThemeForest buyers right? :)

487 posts uouapps
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Jordan
uouapps says

The art of buyer/client communication is a constant learning process for freelancers :) I’ve had many experiences both good and bad during my freelance career that taught me a lot about managing expectations and troubleshooting disagreements.

It’s not always easy, but responding in a calm, professional manner is always the way to go. Some buyers you’ll be able to win back, while other may still respond poorly. In those cases you need to be able to provide whatever help you deem reasonable and learn to walk away with your dignity and peace of mind still intact. Learning that can be a career long struggle but it’s an essential tool if you want to survive the freelance market :)

Here’s a few articles that may help as well: http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/8-lessons-to-help-web-designers-educate-their-clients--webdesign-2796

http://business.tutsplus.com/articles/17-ways-to-use-active-listening-techniques-in-online-communication--fsw-3671

http://blog.microlancer.com/good-communication-the-backbone-of-an-online-business/

Thank you for your kind reply & links,

I agree wîth you regarding the approach to adopt towards buyers but the reality of the business we are facing on themeforest/envato is that you are providing buyers with a permanent & influential tool (the rating) that undeniably has an impact on sales, while we (authors) don’t have any tool in exchange to rate a buyer, block a buyer, refund a buyer…

I’m not really asking for an extensive code of conduct but at least an official Envato Reminder to all buyers before publishing a comment, similar to the COMMUNITY GUIDELINES (read this first)

Every author can of course create his own code of conduct but if it comes from Envato then it will be better digested by buyers and will become a sort of Policy across the comments section of every item sold on themeforest/envato

Thanks

Cheers

UOU Apps

1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Slovenia
Anps says

bingo! very cool post, and there is not just the rating, comments also but that can be at least flagged. I would change that he can rate only once, yes there would be one ratings but after that (if it was a stupid reason) i would just mark his mail as spam.

by
by
by
by
by
by