1050 posts Where words leave off, music begins.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+7 more
AlumoAudio says

It’s actually not allowed to buy your own songs; I don’t have the exact link here but I’m sure that I read this in the documentation of AJ.
Really?? I’d like to see that in writing. I find it quite hard to accept that Envato wouldn’t allow someone to give them money.
191 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Korea, Republic of
Joonique says

As to the ratings… why do buyers buy the item if they rate it under 5 stars? I guess there are plenty of items to choose, which may be 5 star and also fit their project…

202 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
LGuitarB says

I can’t find it anymore, but I’m sure I’ve read it.

It’s actually not allowed to buy your own songs; I don’t have the exact link here but I’m sure that I read this in the documentation of AJ.
Really?? I’d like to see that in writing. I find it quite hard to accept that Envato wouldn’t allow someone to give them money.
230 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Boldtrax says

Of course I can buy my own itmes (with a different account) when I license them to customers. As an exclusive author I have no right to buy my items from the same account, but I surely can set up a “purchaser” account and buy my own items if i want to use them in projects for clients for example. So there’s no way of keeping you away from buying your own items – even bringing them to the top seller page that way. Although it is def a pretty expensive way of marketing, why should Envato disallow that? They earn money through each sale. It doesn’t matter who buys the file.

293 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

That’s certainly not true. Here’s a direct quote I’ve received from Envato a while back on this subject:

“As far as using your tracks with clients, you can skirt that issue of exclusivity by creating another account, and purchasing a license to use your item in whatever project you’re working on (or collaborating with your client so that they can purchase the license, because technically licenses are non-transferable).”

However with the recent license updated, this issue is moot as you are now officially permitted to use your own items in projects you are working on (silly that you weren’t before). From the license FAQ:

“Do I need to pay to use my own items within the regular or extended terms?

No. You can use your own items for free in your freelance work for clients. If you’re exclusive, remember you can’t distribute your own items elsewhere.”

That being said, I’m sure if asked Envato probably technically discourages buying your own items simply to alter the stats/rating, but I think it’d have to be an extreme abuse for them to really take issue, and I doubt anyone has the disposable funds (or reason) to even take it nearly that far.

666 posts Allegro120 Composer
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+5 more
Allegro120 says

Well … All this is very rare. But what’s really dangerous is buying a used track for others to rate it with 1 star.

BTW. ART OF SOUND’S Congratulate on his recent Silver paw. :bigwink:

812 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

Appreciate your kind words, Allegro :)
Although personally I don’t give too much heed to this badgy thing, it always reminds me something like this:

205 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
TJMusic says

The one reason I’ve thought about to justify buying my own track, is to be able to use it in YouTube video without a watermark.

The exclusive author is not allowed to use his tracks on YT without watermarks, but the person who bought the standard licence is. The only problem would be, if rules would openly forbid such practices – but on the other hand, nobody can forbid my friend to buy my track and post it as a video soundtrack on YouTube.

The costs aren’t the problem unless somebody wanted to buy 1000 licences to put the track among the topsellers, because 7$ is nothing comparing to costs of production of the track, the video or to most alternative ways of promotion.

812 posts
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

The one reason I’ve thought about to justify buying my own track, is to be able to use it in YouTube video without a watermark.

Errr, I think you’re wrong here, it’s still your track. You need nobody’s permission to use your own music in your own video, you know.

47 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
ClassicBeauty says

Errr, I think you’re wrong here, it’s still your track. You need nobody’s permission to use your own music in your own video, you know.
by
by
by
by
by
by