43 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
CobaltLeaf says

Couldn’t help but notice that a lot of you guys on the forums don’t have the exclusive check as a badge. I’m assuming it means that it means that you have music on other sites.

I know mentioning other sites is against the rules and I’m not asking for that. Frankly, anyone with computer access really should have no trouble finding out who the competition is. But I would like to know why you guys chose to do so and if it’s worth it.

You see, on my end I am feeling rather wary about moving over to other sites as I am scared of losing out on potential earnings here (33% that doesn’t rise sounds a bit scary compared to a 50%+). At the same time I also want to make a lot of money for the artists I’m working with. Now I know my account shows that I haven’t been here too long and my sales are pretty weak but I must admit that aside from an initial push we haven’t uploaded much here, but I am planning future strategies and am just interested.

Have your outside earnings truly proven to be worth the while for you to leave here?

Is it worth the additional work that is joining, uploading to, and maintaining other sites?

As for me, this is my thinking as to why I haven’t decided to go non-exclusive (so far). It seems AudioJungle is the cheapest place in the market (I’ve read the forums complaining about the prices here) so why would anyone else want to buy from other sites? Yes, often they have more “veteran” producers and they are stricter with their standards, but some of those places sell tracks for triple the price of here. Also, the “best” stuff here is just as good as the stuff on the more expensive sites. Why anyone would shop elsewhere is a mystery to me. And in that respect I’m assuming that eventually AudioJungle will begin to crush the competition and soon it will be one of the last shops on the street (as in, the dominant music stock website), so I might as well stay exclusive.

Again, I am a bit of a rookie here so I apologise if I made some vast assumptions. I would LOVE it if someone could clear this up for me…

447 posts
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Joonique_Sound says

You can make a second account and go non-exclusive and try yourself :) I started AJ as non-exclusive because I already had my stuff on other sites. Now I have 2 accounts non-exclusive and exclusive. But I must say that AJ is the place that gives much more sale than others..

22 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
audiomichaeld says

I’m on the non exclusive side, its a fact that there are a few well established sites that sell royalty free music and they are obviously successful and I don’t believe you should put all your eggs in one basket. Having said that, its all about promotion of your music, so if you choose to sell your music on other sites you will need to promote that site as well which can involve more work which some musos wont want to do. Since I joined audiojungle, I have made more sales here that other sites but I have promoted my tracks here more than other sites.

789 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United Kingdom
AlumoAudio says

Hi CobaltLeaf,

Thought I’d throw some light on the subject. This, incidentally is something that’s been discussed quite a few times in the past on these forums. However, back then I was still an exclusive author here, and last July I decided I wanted to work full-time as a composer and made the leap over to non-exclusive status.

The decision to be exclusive or non-exclusive all really boils down to how you want to work and how you want your music/effects to work for you. Somebody who has limited time to write, produce and upload material will most likely be better off with sticking with one site and remaining exclusive.

However, if one is looking to ‘earn a living’ from royalty-free stock music marketplaces (such as myself), then it would only make sense to do a bit of research (not naming any sites! ;)) and spread that material around the internet, thus gaining a wider ‘catchment area’, so to speak. The payoff being that you’ll have a lot more admin, uploading, tagging, promotion, etc to contend with. But that’s all part of the job, if doing it full time.

Sure, there are window shoppers who do look around for the same track cheaper elsewhere, but it’s not just the price that has an influence. The scope of the stock music buyer is quite wide and there are a few variables at play. Some buyers may work for a company who will only use one site, or maybe the required usage license they need is only available from a certain site – that the less expensive site is unable to offer. Or more simply, maybe people are unaware of the choice or just can’t be bothered to shop around to save a few dollars, as RF stock music is generally regarded as low-priced anyway.

Also, as I mentioned on another thread recently, sales go up and down everywhere, so when there are low sales on one site, the others will provide, and vise versa.

I’m still in my first year of my non-exclusive venture, and it’s going pretty well so far, and I’ve now been able to put back into my business (buying new kit, software, etc) in order to increase the quality of my material. So, for me at least, it has been worth it.

719 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

Strictly speaking from my own experiences, there are many many ponds to fish at, but only few contain actual fish.

Find out where the majority of buyers are and concentrate your efforts there. There are other marketplaces worth checking out, but not many. You have to be very selective and choose wisely where to concentrate your efforts or very hard work will produce little results.

Also, I am not sure if the pictures of women on each of your songs will help to sell your music very well :) , just sayin. People are visual, but when it comes to audio you run the risk of actually making your account look less professional.

All the best to ya!

1940 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Switzerland
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
matsteiner says

Strictly speaking from my own experiences, there are many many ponds to fish at, but only few contain actual fish.

Find out where the majority of buyers are and concentrate your efforts there. There are other marketplaces worth checking out, but not many. You have to be very selective and choose wisely where to concentrate your efforts or very hard work will produce little results.

Also, I am not sure if the pictures of women on each of your songs will help to sell your music very well :) , just sayin. People are visual, but when it comes to audio you run the risk of actually making your account look less professional.

All the best to ya!

+1 for all three blocks :)

43 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CobaltLeaf says

@AlumoAudio. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and views, you’re always very honest and detailed in your posts and I really appreciate that. I’ve always found your comments very intelligent, educational and thorough and I really am grateful you’ve been answering my questions. May I also say bravo for taking the leap of faith into becoming a full time composer. I’ve been listening to your stuff for a while and may I say you are very talented and I think that it is definitely the path for you!

@TimMcmorris. Thanks so much for the advice. Getting advice from the top seller here was a huge and unexpected surprise! Even though I am a musician, as far as CobaltLeaf goes I act more as a businessman/marketer/manager. This explains the unorthodox risks I’ve been taking (especially with the women’s pictures as advertising) but I have found that generally the music I’m trying to push isn’t the best for AudioJungle and no amount of gimmicks is going to sell for me. Anyway, I really love your work and being a New Englander I have to give you a big thanks and thumbs up for doing the Sam Adams commercial!

889 posts Go Acoustic!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
jhunger says

Hey CobaltLeaf,

This has come up a few times, so I thought I’d do a trip down memory lane and search for a few of these threads. I could swear there are more but here are some historical ones that touch on the subject:

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/is-it-worth-to-go-nonexclusive/65989?page=1#582824
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/hey-newbie-here-/65465?page=1#578743
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/audiojungle-exclusive-vs-not/54817?page=1#499150
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/exclusivity-peritem/45857?page=1#454232
http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/share-your-method-of-splitting-portfolio-on-exclusivenonexclusive-parts/62873?page=1#559070

Short answer from me is that it’s still worth it revenue wise to be non-exclusive, even though I’m nearing the would-be 70% commission mark. Without going into too much detail, AJ represents a little less than a third of my total income last year from my RF tracks. Besides existing marketplaces that bring in revenue now, marketplaces seem to be opening frequently as people are becoming aware of the demand for stock audio so there is an argument for having a ton of available tracks to go in with. Truly, a high percentage of them are rubbish, so you will spin your wheels. And the maintenance of all the sites can be overwhelming.

Obviously Tim has a great point – having one place where there are buyers and laser focusing your marketing efforts is very powerful. And if you’re going to do that, I haven’t seen a site better than AudioJungle as far as the ability of authors to promote themselves. On some sites you feel pretty anonymous.

I actually have chosen the non-exclusive route because I don’t have the kind of SEO and marketing skills (or motivation to do such things), so I spread my songs out widely and let the various sites market them. I’m not saying this is the best approach for everybody (or even for me for that matter), but it’s about what I can manage at this point.

914 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Russian Federation
  • Exclusive Author
permian says

Also, I am not sure if the pictures of women on each of your songs will help to sell your music very well

Besides, it’s not allowed to use such things, if it’s not yours.

472 posts
  • United Kingdom
FlossieWood says

Also, I am not sure if the pictures of women on each of your songs will help to sell your music very well

Agreed! Also women buy music too you know it might put females off! I think people have got quite savvy to marketing ploys these days! Now a pretty girl (with clothes on ) that the buyer assumes to be you, that might work!

Oh and I say dangle your rod in a few ponds x

by
by
by
by
by
by