25 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Germany
alexbeck says

Hi, envato is having some really nice marketplaces in here. But they’re a little bit too different to be handled all together as they are now. My problem is, I would really like to take part as an exclusive author, but as my membership includes all marketplaces together I can’t. As I’m earning most of my money in photography and also in selling stock images on different major stock agencies I cannot be exclusive in Photodune of course, as it is (sorry) only a minor marketplace for stock images with very little sales. That’s one of the reasons why I’m still waiting to upload all of my material to photodune (a bigger amount of images with up to 60 megapixels – the other reason is, that the handling of model releases is very uncomfortable at photodune) as if i would decide to become an exclusive author this makes it necessary to remove (almost) all my work from photodune. That would be really pity.

But I’m shure that I’m not the only one with that kind of problem. Especially Photo Dune members I think couldn’t be exclusive, there are too many too important stock agencies that people could upload their material only to photodune which is (sorry again) very unknown to the very most potential clients – and most clients already have “their” 3 or 4 agencies where they look for pictures, so they won’t change or add photodune, as (to be honest) most of the interesting pictureas are available on at all those agencies as of course all big players in stock photography also sell at all those agencies.

Why isn’t there the possibility to choose the exclusivity by marketplace??? I could be exclusive at videohive and graphicriver without any problems, as those material isn’t sold at regular stock agencies (or, in case of stock footage, has very little income). I wouldn’t have any problem to take out my material from the other agencies, as it is only some 5 or 6 videos and become exclusive at videohive and graphicriver. But, as i told, i cannot be exclusive at photodune.. To choose exclusivity by marketplace and not over all would, as I think, not only for me solve this problem

Alex

809 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
matu says

You could start another account and have one exclusive and one not

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

Although that’s true how are you supposed to build yourself as a “brand” and as a decent author when you’re using multiple accounts? Envato should provide this. We shouldn’t have to use a hacky workaround.

809 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
matu says

What would be the ideal solution would be to have each file selectable as exclusive or not not just marketplaces….

46 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Belgium
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Blaxus says

Don’t forget the whole point of exclusivity is that you sell only on these marketplaces.
But I understand where you are coming from and since not all items are the same type the exclusivity of marketplaces shouldn’t limit to your account but to the Marketplace where your items ares sold.

As such I think it’s not a bad idea to ask Envato that optionally Exclusivity could be set per marketplace.

What also could be a solution is simply to exile the Exclusivity of Photodune itself. Meaning you have overall Exclusivity and Photodune’s Exclusivity could be set differently.

I mean, if it appears that it’s just Photodune, then that could be an Easy solution.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

As such I think it’s not a bad idea to ask Envato that optionally Exclusivity could be set per marketplace.

Not only “not bad”, i would say. This should be mandatory in future updates on the marketplace.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Much more work for the developers. Let them clear the pipeline ;)

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
alexbeck says

Hm… the question is: would that be allowed? I know it from other stock photo agencies that they only allow one account… What does Envato say???

On the other hand, as Thecodingdude already said, this would prevent as well cross-selling as also to be established as “brand”... People looking at a graphicriver portfolio wouldn’t get shown the photodune portfolio as it is an extra account and they don’t know, if they find both accounts that this is the same seller…

Of course i agree with the idea of exclusivity, that members are encouraged to sell their products only on envato’s marketplaces. But what is a minor problem at the other marketplaces is a major problem on photodune, not least as it is a comparatively small stock image agency with quite little turnover… And I also know other attempts with two different kinds of exclusivity on the same market place, a “full exclusivity” with really high rates and a “part exclusivity” where you can set single files to be sold exclusive with higher rates than non exclusive files but not so high as “full exclusive”... something in between… Especially in stock photography it doesn’t make any sense for a seller to sell exclusively in one agency, there are too many agencies and you would abandon a lot income when you’re exclusive in one agency, the rate couldn’t be high enough to heal this For example: there are two major microstock agencies, one of them is leading in Europe and the other one in the U.S., when your’re exclusive in one of them you almost completely abandon the income from the other market. My last year’s income, for example, in Europe’s leading agency the part in the U.S. market is a bit less then 5% of my total income! Imagine how many income i wouldn’t get if I wouldn’t also sell in the other agency And then there are also the other “smaller big players”. If you would be exclusive at only one agency you would abandon a major part of the possible total income, so no professional photographer is able to afford to only sell at one agency… there simply are too many and the complete market is spread over all these agencies. For many parts in the “envato world” exclusivity may be possible as there are not so many other marketplaces or the higher rate of exclusivity can heal the loss of income you have when you don’t sell your items somewhere else but in stock photography this is not possible, as there are too many agencies and the possible income in photodune is much too little

25 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
alexbeck says

I’m afraid, the only possibility for me at the moment is, to remove my photo work from PhotoDune… that’s the only way to fulfill the exclusivity requirements that are valid right now and the higher rate will cause a higher turnaround all in all, as the sales in PhotoDune are such little… What a pity, I hoped, I could increase my income a little bit with PhotoDune by uploading all my portfolio to it and sell at least some pics, now PhotoDune is the obstacle that’s preventing a better income as it makes the exclusivity to the other marketplaces impossible…

:(

301 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Reachground says

I actually think that is a great idea alexbeck. But to be honest, I don’t like the exclusive approach at all. Of all the stock sites I run in to, this is the place I like most. Sales are steady and the community is plain awesome. I started exclusive and then chose to opt out. It’s just not worth it.

Chances that Envato will ever remove it are slim to none, I just wanted to whine a little :)

by
by
by
by
by
by