20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
StephanieHider says

I am not sure if there are any authors here that have any experience with EE. If so I am asking for some feedback on a template problem. I am trying to build an Expression Engine template and I have felt for some time before even starting it, it might be a headache since it handles sites so differently than Wordpress or Joomla. Themes do not switch in and out easily as the site it self is coded completely differently. I am used to creating a site that gives the user an easy platform for updating which always requires a lot of custom fields, template coding that pulls things in and out etc. The problem with this is it requires the person building it to do a lot more upfront. For me that is ok but when I translate this into a bunch of files that are downloaded and then manually installed (ugh) via copy and paste and going into the admin in four hundred places I am afraid I will have a nightmare on 1. documentation, 2. so much work for the end user that they will be frustrated and 3. people purchasing the template who do not know EE and then ultimately supporting that learning curve.

I think the end result the site would be very nice and easy to update but I am afraid of the in between stage. So I guess I am wondering if it is worth the process. Since there are currently NO templates in this category I am guessing this has been an issue before.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Stephanie

58 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
BulkyCranium says

I use expressionEngine all the time.

The great thing about it is that it doesn’t require themes. You can take any HTML Site template and insert it into the site, and then insert a few tags to pull in blog entries or any other dynamic content.

There are some tutorails available here:

http://train-ee.com/

20 posts
+2 more
StephanieHider says

Yes but if you design a site with functionality that isn’t the standard install index how would you package that up in an easy format for a buyer here? That is the question. Usually when you build a site for a customer you have more than just the index template (a lot more) and custom fields.

58 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
BulkyCranium says

Doh, I missed the first part of your message.

I’m not sure how you would go about that.

As a designer that builds sites using EE – I don’t think I would buy a theme specifically made for EE because it is easy enough to adapt straight HTML sites to EE. If I had to pay more & was limited by any functionality the author made I would skip it and opt for an HTML version.

If you do design one I would be interested in buying it just to see how you did.

20 posts
+2 more
StephanieHider says

Ya I think that is my hang up. Anyone who knows EE can just do it themselves and the site would be coded how they are familiar with building an EE site. Anyone who is not familiar with EE would just be frustrated by the time they got through copying and pasting 20 templates and making 5 web blogs (channels now I guess) and 30 custom fields. I think the sales I would get would be like you said a download to see how someone else builds an EE site or packages it.

26 posts
revive says

For what it’s worth… We use EE sometimes, and mainly because we’re not as knowledgable with it as we are Joomla or other CMSs.. so, a theme that is ready to go, fully designed, etc.. would be great in my opinion. And I think the less EE-savvy folks would use it as a theme not a ‘how did they do it’? (which can be had from EE’s std index page)

Just my 2 cents… but I would be super stoked to be able to roll themes into EE from here, then have to jump into learning it since we dont theme for it much.. Who knows, with the availability of nice themes, we would probably ‘push’ more EE sites and sales here would go up.

Again, this is just one perspective.. but, one I think that is probably shared by others… :)

by
by
by
by
by
by