479 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

There is currently a discussion in a VH thread (http://videohive.net/forums/thread/-audio-jungle-2-audio-file-for-1-project/80376?page=1#677368) about whether a VH author is permitted to buy an extended license for an AJ track and include it for sale in their project.

This doesn’t seem right to me. Does it seem okay to anyone else?

841 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Hi PZ – I just replied to that thread. The short answer is no – and rightly so! I’d pull my work in a flash if it weren’t the case.

671 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ZtarrZound says

If I remember a post by Scott Willis correctly, it is allowed.

292 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

This has come up on VH before a few times, most recently I too had thought it not allowed. However it officially seems to be permitted, even though it still raises big concerns to me as I had also discussed previously.

I also reiterated and suggested the following in the current thread on VideoHive:

Regardless, if you do want to use an extended license to include an AudioJungle track in your template, as a professional courtesy I would highly encourage you to ask for the specific author’s permission before you do, as the licensing on Envato is still imperfect and controversial and many authors may take issue with this specific use.

Finally, if you do end up reselling the track within your template, again as a matter of courtesy please make sure to include a statement that “the audio track is only allowed to be used in conjunction with that specific template, and cannot be removed/reused elsewhere”, in as many places as possible in your template – in the help file, on the project notes, even as the name of the audio layer in the template – to help reinforce this point and deter improper behavior by end users.
841 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
gbiasillo says

I don’t think that’s a good deal for us, and as such I’ve just opted out of exclusive license sales for my items. I’ve only had one exclusive sale to date, so it not a negative for myself, and should prevent my work being resold without getting any further royalties.

213 posts Live Creative!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BrownHouseMedia says

Can we please have someone on staff clarify if this is allowed with a standard license?

Please respond, the silence is getting deafening.

292 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SchwartzSound says

I don’t think that’s a good deal for us, and as such I’ve just opted out of exclusive license sales for my items. I’ve only had one exclusive sale to date, so it not a negative for myself, and should prevent my work being resold without getting any further royalties.

You mean “extended” licenses right?

Can we please have someone on staff clarify if this is allowed with a standard license?

The reselling of an AJ track in an AE template (or similar) would not be allowed with a standard license – no resale/commercial use is allowed within that. But staff have previously responded that this IS allowed with extended licenses – see this thread.

As I’ve said before I agree it’s totally not cool, while I’m all for extended licenses of my music as part of a larger end product such as in a DVD , or a game or app, etc., I’m NOT keen on it being resold within another stock item, whatever that may be. The potential for confusion and misuse/abuse is just too high.

Additionally, if you think about it, a VH author could buy and include a $14 AJ track into a $15-$20 VH item, and it’s basically like giving it away for free, with no further benefits/sales for the author of the music. The VH author gets the continued benefit of extra value and sales at little relative expense, while the AJ author gets practically nothing. A single extended license sale certainly does not make up for potentially tens if not hundreds more regular license sales. In my opinion this use/behavior should be discourage by Envato as it is goes against the collaborative relationship between the sites and between authors.

As much as I’d like to see it changed, I can however see the contention with simply changing the Extended License clause to disallow reselling as part of larger template/stock works (or any other type of work where the audio file is readily accessible in it’s original form), as that extended license is similarly implemented across all marketplaces. So by excluding stock use of all extended license items, VideoHive or ThemeForest authors would no longer be able to license and use GraphicRiver/PhotoDune items as part of their themes or templates either, which I’m sure is much more commonplace than with our audio tracks.

On the other hand, GraphicRiver extended licenses are FIFTEEN times the price of a regular standard license, while here on AJ it’s only FIVE times the cost. I think there’s the real issue – raising AJ’s extended license prices would A ) make it much more equitable for us as authors to have our work resold as part of a stock template, and B ) make it a more significant investment for VH authors, so this practice doesn’t get easily abused. Not to mention it just needs to happen regardless…

774 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

In any case, if the terms of the site, we are the masters of the music and all rights to our work belongs to us, it would be nice if the authors VH asked our permission.

214 posts
  • Located in France
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
MusicPremium says

There is currently a discussion in a VH thread (http://videohive.net/forums/thread/-audio-jungle-2-audio-file-for-1-project/80376?page=1#677368) about whether a VH author is permitted to buy an extended license for an AJ track and include it for sale in their project. This doesn’t seem right to me. Does it seem okay to anyone else?

Wow… i didn’t know it was allowed to do that… But actually, what is the advantage for a VH author, and by extension for Envato, to do that ? I think that making profit in Envato, is to make the better item at the lowest cost. And spend 70$ for an audio item i think will not be interesting…
On top of that, cross promotion is the most important thing for authors… So i don’t think that smart VH authors would do such a thing.

774 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

Additionally, if you think about it, a VH author could buy and include a $14 AJ track into a $15-$20 VH item, and it’s basically like giving it away for free, with no further benefits/sales for the author of the music. The VH author gets the continued benefit of extra value and sales at little relative expense, while the AJ author gets practically nothing. A single extended license sale certainly does not make up for potentially tens if not hundreds more regular license sales. In my opinion this use/behavior should be discourage by Envato as it is goes against the collaborative relationship between the sites and between authors.
I totally agree! I hate that the rules of the game are changing, and without any discussion, because it affects our interest and hits on our revenues. Of course we would like to hear the opinion of this thread, someone from the staff website
by
by
by
by
by
by