53 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

Hi, I’m afraid this was already asked but I couldn’t find the answer.

I’d like to buy an item with extended license to include it in a product of mine. The item is a lightbox manager and my product is a Wordpress plugin. My doubt comes from this page:

http://codecanyon.net/licenses where it says, about the extended license:

Distribution of source files is not permitted.

how can I avoid the distribution of the source code if the item is written in javascript?

1189 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

You can’t. Just make sure to minize(obsfucate) the code from demo.

Also, I think, You should ask the author for permision to use his script in your plugin.

328 posts Keeping Things Simple
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
cmoreira says

Hi

From what I understand you also can’t resell another item together with your own without the permission of the author, like Smartik said. The current terms of the extended license don’t allow this. Envato is missing a third license type, the much wanted developer license…

2206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I would ask the author and maybe give him some cash of every sale you get from your product.

But i am pretty sure you cannot re sell it.

Cheers

Lester

53 posts
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

I really don’t understand. Why, then, the extended license is not completely removed from (for example) the whole javascript section in codecanyon?

I sell, sometimes, some extended license for my plugin, so this means that someone is selling my plugin with my source code?

A couple of themes I have bought include third party plugins (sold in codecanyon), why they’re not infringing the license?

53 posts
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

Maybe I found the FAQ about my question:

http://codecanyon.net/licenses/faq#faq-section-author

Can I purchase an item to use as a small element within a larger project that I plan to sell as stock or a template? For example, could I purchase a button graphic for a theme I plan to sell?

Use of items in larger stock projects is not allowed under the default regular or extended licenses, but there are exceptions.

Example: A CodeCanyon author has a slider and states in the item description that any buyer is permitted under the extended license to use this item in a larger stock item that will be sold.

Example: A CodeCanyon author has a slider and gives permission by email to a ThemeForest author to use the slider, under the extended license, in a theme.

But still I don’t understand why the extended version is offered in codecanyon where we MUST provide source code and I wonder what someone is doing with my plugin after purchasing the extended license….

674 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Typps says

The problem isn’t whether you can add third party code in source code form into your product but rather if the developer who owns the code is willing to let you integrate their product in yours.

Permission needs to be asked by you explicitly, if the author is not advertising this publicly on their item.

In general, the reason you have the extended license option is to allow commercial usage, i.e. if a client purchases the item and then puts the item behind a paywall, an extended license is required otherwise the regular license is sufficient. This is one of the main differences between the regular and extended licenses other than the obvious differences you have already noted.

53 posts
+3 more
GreenTreeLabs says

I see, I see… much clearer now, thanks.

by
by
by
by