• Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

The good news is that Chaman, our lawyer, is amazing and will be looking into our license options with a fine-toothed comb :)

741 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Poland
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Orbital_Themes says

I’m surprised that even authors do not know the licensing terms:

Note: Site Templates purchased under a regular or extended license may NOT be used within other Envato marketplace items.

as seen here: http://themeforest.net/licenses/usage_examples

OP is talking about CodeCanyon items – http://codecanyon.net/licenses/usage_examples.

296 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CodeFusion says

I wish they give us CC guys a break on TF items and vice-versa.

I’m a developer – I make shi… stuff happen – I don’t care how it looks, as long as it functions exactly as I intend. Because of this, some of my items get out right rejected because it does not look pretty – I’m a developer – WTF you expect? Whereas a TF guy don’t care if it functions (why should they – their items don’t have to function), as long as it looks exactly like they intended it too.

Could you imagine a marketplace for collaboration only? You might as well cancel the rest of the internet! ;)

I found a $25 TF template I would love to use on my CC items. EL – $1250 :O
x7 items I want to use it for = $8750! I’m more than willing to pay for a template – but starting a project $1250 in the hole is no way to start a project!!

I’m not an author here because I need to make money – I’ve got a full time business for that – I’m here to have fun. The profit from my sales here goes towards “toys”. I’ve only make 3 withdraws in the two years I’ve been here.

The point is, I’ll never buy an EL as it will never benefit me – honestly, abiding by all terms of the EL – I really can’t image who would benefit from it.

I’d love to see a special “Collab” license where I can purchase a TF item and only use it for my CC items. I’d be willing to give up X percent of my items sales to the TF author. This practice is in use by a few authors here – but it all has to be done outside of Envato – or in a dubious way.

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
SelfPublishServices says

I’d love to see a special “Collab” license where I can purchase a TF item and only use it for my CC items. I’d be willing to give up X percent of my items sales to the TF author. This practice is in use by a few authors here – but it all has to be done outside of Envato – or in a dubious way.

This is what I’d like to see, it would make much more sense. For my item, I’d like to include a theme, but the cost of an extended license just makes it not worthwhile.

However, if a theme author wanted to use, for example, my WordPress plugin, they pay $90 and I then get $45 however many of them they sell, they sell 3000 WordPress themes at an average of £35 making them $52,500 – I still only get $45.

This is why I don’t have the extended license available.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ CC extended license pricing is another big reason why so many authors have opted out of the program, thus defeating the purpose of the program altogether. All extended license CC items should start at 50x the price. Because when you consider TF total sales like Moonworks has, it’s still a terrific investment for TF authors.

A few hundred dollars for the rights to resell something that takes weeks to develop? Sounds fair to me. But when it’s only 5x the price and translates into a $30-$50 sale, with net profit 50-70% of that, well you can draw your own conclusions.

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
SelfPublishServices says

I just realised that the figure would be higher than £52,500 because that’s just based on 50%, which would have risen by then.

296 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CodeFusion says

^ CC extended license pricing is another big reason why so many authors have opted out of the program, thus defeating the purpose of the program altogether. ...

Because authors have to take care of these things outside of Envato, Envato is losing money – much more than I think they realize.

One of my scripts – everyone wants a multi-user version – but because of the Envato license, I won’t release the MU here – so I’ve made handsome sales outside of Envato by selling the MU plugin – It’s not fair to Envato, but, if they truly wanted their share, they’d fix their license. (which would only give me a false sense of security) – just to be clear – I do not violate Envatos Exclusive Author TOS .

But; to Envatos defense, a license is only as good as the morals of the person who purchased the item. There is very little or no way, to determine if a user is using the item within the license agreement. Furthermore, who is responsible for prosecuting the people who violate the license? Surely Envato is not going to pick up the tab for that. We as authors, or at least I, cannot justify spending thousands of dollars on lawyers attempting to prosecute a license violator – who may or may not be prosecutable.

So I would, as I’m sure Envato does as well, have a hard time justifying the cost of updating license agreements given the fact that there is almost no way to enforce them.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

So I would, as I’m sure Envato does as well, have a hard time justifying the cost of updating license agreements given the fact that there is almost no way to enforce them.

I disagree for two reasons. First, I’m not sure a high priced lawyer is needed to update the verbiage to say “you can’t sell an extended license item on the same marketplace”. And second, given the large amount of requests authors get about extended licenses, plenty of buyers are making an effort to play by the rules.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+3 more
pixelentity says

This is what I’d like to see, it would make much more sense. For my item, I’d like to include a theme, but the cost of an extended license just makes it not worthwhile.

However, if a theme author wanted to use, for example, my WordPress plugin, they pay $90 and I then get $45 however many of them they sell, they sell 3000 WordPress themes at an average of £35 making them $52,500 – I still only get $45.

This is why I don’t have the extended license available.

We agree with this, and is also the reason why we do not offer the extended license option on our CC items, despite getting regular inquiries from buyers interested in extended licenses.

5x for a CC item which can be inserted into another item in the marketplaces is madness. Authors wishing to go this route (use a CC item in their TF themes) should be paying a premium for this convenience, but instead they are getting it so cheap its illogical for the CC author to opt-in and allow the marketplaces to become saturated with his/her item via other author’s themes, while at the same time not get any premium payoff for his troubles.

So a CJ points out, this just results in Authors opting out, Envato losing money, no marketplace cross-polination. Boo

Fix it…it only makes sense to do so. In fact the extra income Envato would get from this would pay for their lawyer’s fees many times over.

DOK

1019 posts Freelance Flash and JavaScript Developer
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
sike says

The 5x for CC item definitely is too low now, I got some extend sales in the past days, for it’s almost same as a single license price of a theme.

by
by
by
by
by
by