4140 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
+3 more
tsafi says

I don’t know about this mambo jumbo extended license, for sure there is 1 main benefit here and it’s not the developer which becomes Envato benefactor, don’t get me wrong I love benefactor.

In the real world since it’s a close market here any way if someone use CC or whatever as extend license this should get pay per sell if its 25 cents 50 cents or whatever.

No logic that WP template will be sold 2000 time and you will get $60 beggar money and a big finger…. i mean come-on guys we have iphone now and galaxy s3 and its 2012, i thought that slavery days are over by now. Or not i guess…..

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

So a CJ points out, this just results in Authors opting out, Envato losing money, no marketplace cross-polination. Boo

The best solution would be to allow authors to choose their own extended license prices on a file by file basis (with a minimum). This way if an author wants to allow 5x price they can do so. But if a CC author with a top selling component thinks an extended license for their item is worth 100x the price, let them make that decision.

This essentially does three things:

- CC author gets compensated to what they see fit
- CC author can set the price high enough to prevent over-saturation of their product on other marketplaces
- CC component now has an extended license option as opposed to nothing at all

Then don’t allow same-marketplace reselling and now the program works for everyone :)

On a side note, I’m pretty sure at one point in the past CC evaluated extented license sales, realized that sales were low and decided to lower the prices. But times have changed and demand for non-Flash components has now skyrocketed.

495 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

So a CJ points out, this just results in Authors opting out, Envato losing money, no marketplace cross-polination. Boo

The best solution would be to allow authors to choose their own extended license prices on a file by file basis (with a minimum). This way if an author wants to allow 5x price they can do so. But if a CC author with a top selling component thinks an extended license for their item is worth 100x the price, let them make that decision.

This essentially does three things:

- CC author gets compensated to what they see fit
- CC author can set the price high enough to prevent over-saturation of their product on other marketplaces
- CC component now has an extended license option as opposed to nothing at all

Then don’t allow same-marketplace reselling and now the program works for everyone :)

On a side note, I’m pretty sure at one point in the past CC evaluated extented license sales, realized that sales were low and decided to lower the prices. But times have changed and demand for non-Flash components has now skyrocketed.

Yep CJ, nice suggestion, that would defo be a nice, all inclusive and flexible solution! Bring it on.

DOK

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

The good news is that Chaman, our lawyer, is amazing and will be looking into our license options with a fine-toothed comb :)

Any promise can be made just without mentioning “when”.

There are frustrating, misleading errors in the license page itself and doesn’t seems to be noticed by anybody except buyers. The painful thing is even best lawyer can make mistakes if none of the “Marketplace specific” staff had chance to look on it or involved with.

For example,
=============================================================
CodeCanyon > Javascript category files has following hint below the extended License button:
a website template for sale (including on ThemeForest or ActiveDen) – Details

But the License Usage Examples page conveys different marketplace usage:
JavaScript component to be used in a template which is then sold (including on CodeCanyon or ActiveDen). =============================================================

So just wanted to point that a good lawyer is fine but relevant staff need to take care marketplaces and categories specifically. Currently the Licensing page seems to be the place of just buyers and lawyers – both doesn’t know each other.

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

I had to Flag my above post for Staff reply. Already reported to support and received a reply that it will be forwarded to appropriate staff. Almost 2 weeks passed and nothing corrected and it seems minor corrections are never going to happen in these marketplaces. So there is no way other than waiting for BIG updates.

To be frank, considering the current pricing / sales trend on CodeCanyon, the files with moderate and low sales are at huge loss because of Extended license being disabled. Many CC authors disabled the extended license just because of “inside marketplace usage” confusions caused by poorly written terms page and usage examples. (looks like “usage examples” intended to convey cross marketplace usage but mistakenly mentioned as if same marketplace usage allowed)

....hmm

Anyway, hoping that these exact issues are already taken into account and expect the next update on license terms page will not again keep authors run away from Extended License. Otherwise the very existence of the that license is useless.

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

So I would, as I’m sure Envato does as well, have a hard time justifying the cost of updating license agreements given the fact that there is almost no way to enforce them.
I disagree for two reasons. First, I’m not sure a high priced lawyer is needed to update the verbiage to say “you can’t sell an extended license item on the same marketplace”. And second, given the large amount of requests authors get about extended licenses, plenty of buyers are making an effort to play by the rules.

+1. The same marketplace usage restriction is easy and obvious. In case it really has legal issues, either remove the Extd license or raise the price to a safe margin. From looking at pricing and words used on license terms page, I am pretty sure it was intended to allow only cross – marketplace but failed to convey the same.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

@VF I haven’t seen any replies from staff addressing the questions that have been raised. So I’m not sure it’s a matter of a prolonged “update” as opposed to not currently having any plans to make these changs.

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

@VF I haven’t seen any replies from staff addressing the questions that have been raised. So I’m not sure it’s a matter of a prolonged “update” as opposed to not currently having any plans to make these changs.

I mentioned about different problem: Clearing the errors on license page! Not about improvements, I think we can only dream about improvements. I afraid “same marketplace usage” of Extd License is an error and unintentional.

6025 posts
+8 more
VF says

Btw, it is waste of time to investigate the ugly license terms; authors have too many headaches than this. It is better just click one button and disable the Extended license, sleep well.

Personally I had much frustration because I have to take the risk of just enabling the Extended license for genuine buyers who understand the simple fact that, 5x times price doesn’t mean they can upload their own version to compete directly with the original author on same marketplace. To avoid the risk, if I have to just disable the Extended license for one file, it will affect all other marketplace files too and it will be difficult to answer buyers in the future new uploads.

Anyway, there is a time for the assumption that Extended license usage will never be explained in a straightforward manner and for Envato, it is just a matter of clicking the enable/disable check box. I just disabled it and problem solved.

Good bye to all the threads that talks about license, spent too much time on this unworthy subject. Be happy moderators! :)

SelfPublishServices
SelfPublishServices Recent Posts Threads Started
473 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
SelfPublishServices says

I like the idea of a them on TF using an item from CC, it is good for both authors, but I believe that there should be a different way of doing things, as mentioned previously, with the original author receiving as percentage of every sale. Even if that is $1 or $2 from a $35 theme, it will still mean that as the theme sells more, the original author does well out of it.

by
by
by
by
by
by