323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

Why is this the case though? People are paying for the Content created by the site owner – not content created by the theme developer.

+1

I still think charging 50x more for a theme that hides content via a simple snippet of code, than a relatively more complex shopping cart theme is completely out of proportion and not an affordable option for most site owners, considering the short shelf life of themes available here. And as has been pointed out above, the content is created by the site owner.

This differs from a scenario where the content is downloadable since the theme/template would not be implemented into it, nor the case with the boxes where the physical box does not use the marketplace item in any form.

It’s different, but not 50x more different.

5753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

This differs from a scenario where the content is downloadable since the theme/template would not be implemented into it, nor the case with the boxes where the physical box does not use the marketplace item in any form.
It’s different, but not 50x more different.

+1

However I guess this particular usage and pricing is more of an experiment/intruduction without putting much efforts from Envato’s side. If you note closely, 50x is only for full themes; for plugins, it is nothing more than 5x or 10x as the Extended License prices vary according to categories. The paid subscription usage definitely needs to be separated from EL.

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

However I guess this particular usage and pricing is more of an experiment/intruduction without putting much efforts from Envato’s side. If you note closely, 50x is only for full themes; for plugins, it is nothing more than 5x or 10x as the Extended License prices vary according to categories. The paid subscription usage definitely needs to be separated from EL.

I think for now it’s best to hold fire any purchases of themes on here that provide built-in premium content/subscription options such as dating sites, until the authors and Envato start speaking to each other and sort out the licensing mess, and instead use a standard theme and integrate some plugins to provide the extra functionality.

A shame because at the moment these are the type of themes we’re interested in buying.

by
by
by
by
by
by