• Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
+15 more
scottwills Staff says

Hey guys,

I think it’s about time we tightened-up our policy on what extra music files you can include with your Music category submissions. This is going to be especially important if/when we move towards a slightly different approach to our Source Files category.

• Your main file should only include your full track in .mp3 and/or .wav format.
  • Individual, exported stems / tracks / instruments are NOT allowed.
  • “Construction Kits” consisting of extra audio elements to allow the customer to “build” their own track are now NOT allowed.

A reminder about some related, existing rules:

• You are welcome to include variations of the same track in your submission if you wish. Meaning, if you have a 2 minute track, but you also want to include a shorter 30-second version, the only way to do this is by including both versions in the same submission. You are not allowed to upload separate submissions for variations of the same track. The only exception to this is that you are allowed 1 remix variation of an existing track IF it is significantly different from the original version.
  • You are welcome and encouraged to “Pack” files together (that are all unique and are NOT variations of one another) and sell them in our Music Packs category. See the Music Pack upload instructions for more information.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s co-operation. :)

22 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
ma13sharp11 says

Hi Scott,

2 quick questions:

1) Is it necessary to change existing, already uploaded tracks to comply with these guidelines?

2) I’m currently working on a construction kit type track for a client and was planning on uploading it to AudioJungle. Since you mentioned the future different approach to the Source Files category… would that be an option for my track?

Thanks in advance,

Marko

2578 posts
  • Community Ambassador
  • Community Manager
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • United States
+15 more
scottwills Staff says

Hi Marko,

1) No.

2) No, not until we formally make those changes, sorry.

22 posts
  • Austria
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
ma13sharp11 says

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. :-)

1118 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says
  • “Construction Kits” consisting of extra audio elements to allow the customer to “build” their own track are now NOT allowed.
  • Hello Scott

I realy dont want to argue about Envato’s guidelines, but i dont see the positive side of this restriction ( exept server space saving ). My best sold files are exactly the ones which gives the user as much flexibility as ever possible.

Maybe you could explain ( other reasons then the upcoming changes for the resource files section ) a bit more why this is no longer allowed.

Thanks and have a nice afternoon. Daniel

2578 posts
    • Community Ambassador
    • Community Manager
    • Support Staff
    • Envato Staff
    • Exclusive Author
    • Won a Competition
    • United States
    +15 more
    scottwills Staff says

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback! :) Here are some extra comments that might help you understand why we need to enforce this rule:

• 99.9% of items in the music category contain just the main file in .mp3 and/or .wav format. That’s what customers expect and that’s what customers are saying they need/want.
    • I think customers buy your particular files because they sound great, not necessarily because of the extra files you include. :)
    • Clarifying this rule helps keep the market fair for all authors.
    • This is now a much simpler rule which makes it easier for everyone to understand what is and what is not allowed.
    • We were starting to see submissions get a little crazy with some authors uploading stems of their entire tracks, so it was time to clarify the rule.
    • Download times for customers are kept to a minimum.
    • As discussed, there MAY be a future opportunity for us to rework the Source Files category to accommodate stems / individual tracks/instruments and construction kits etc…
    • It helps reduce proofing complexity and review time for reviewers. The faster we can review and proof everyone’s music, the happier authors are and the more choice customers get.

Thanks for understanding. :)

688 posts
    • Community Moderator
    • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
    • Bought between 10 and 49 items
    • Exclusive Author
    • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
    • United States
    robGD Volunteer moderator says

How does this apply to whole song splices like I tend to do where you cut the beginning and end loose and provide a middle that can be looped? In total when I do this I give 3 pieces of the track and the entire run through.

Thanks Scott.

2578 posts
    • Community Ambassador
    • Community Manager
    • Support Staff
    • Envato Staff
    • Exclusive Author
    • Won a Competition
    • United States
    +15 more
    scottwills Staff says

Hey Rob,

If you want to include variations of the track you can, but small, individual files for different intros and outros are technically the same as construction kits which are now no longer allowed, sorry. In order for this rule to work we can’t really allow any exceptions and we need to remove any gray areas to make sure this is a super easy rule to follow.

872 posts
    • Author had a Free File of the Month
    • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
    • Envato Staff
    • Exclusive Author
    +4 more
    AndySlatter Reviewer says

I think this is a really positive move. In my opinion, this frees up both authors and reviewers to concentrate on what really matters. It also prevents the undermining of the value of a possible future wavs source file category ( and the present source file category come to think of it), it takes pressure off authors who might feel that they should give away source wavs in order to compete with others who are doing so, and thus preserves the value of the work authors do . Personally I don’t want to give source files away for nothing.

76 posts
    • Elite Author
    • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
    • Has been a member for 6-7 years
    • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
    soundroll-music says

Scott, could you tell exactly what variations are allowed to include in the zip file? :) Sorry, I still don’t understand it clearly. You say, we can include 30 sec cut, but intro and/or outro are not allowed. What about loops, and how many for the one track (if any)? Maybe just give us instruction on upload page, so we will not upload files and then reviewers will reject them.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by