5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
darnson says

Just wanted some clarification.

Doesn’t FB discourage and have rules about information such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section is a no-no.

Then why are so many of the beautiful designed FB covers not following the guide lines? I’m I missing something? Just curious.

Thanks for the help

63 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
AgentVIP says

This could actually open a can of worms. You’re right darnson.

http://www.facebook.com/page_guidelines.php

b. Cover

All covers are public. This means that anyone who visits your Page will be able to see your cover. Covers can’t be deceptive, misleading, or infringe on anyone else’s copyright. You may not encourage people to upload your cover to their personal timelines. Covers may not include:
  • i. images with more than 20% text;
  • ii. price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it on socialmusic.com”;
  • iii. contact information such as a website address, email, mailing address, or information that should go in your Page’s “About” section;
  • iv. references to Facebook features or actions, such as “Like” or “Share” or an arrow pointing from the cover photo to any of these features; or
  • v. calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends.”

I’ve just had a skim through the ‘Facebook Covers’ on GraphicRiver, and it’s certain that the use of those covers on Facebook would certainly be against their guidelines.

That being said. It’s down to the user/purchase to adjust and edit their cover photo before they add it to Facebook, so they are the ones that are ultimately responsible. It’s a detail that Envato have missed, but certainly not their obligation to monitor/scrutinise such submissions in that amount of details. The GraphicRiver authors are the ones that are directly profiting from the sale of such items, and are likely to (or ‘should’) have an understanding of Facebook’s guidelines.

But in reality, it’s a widely accepted norm for the email/address/etc to be included in a Facebook cover photo whether it’s against the guidelines or not. If anything, Facebook are the ones to blame for having such a ridiculous section in their terms of service.

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
darnson says

Thanks for such a quick response. ....noooo, that’s not what my intentions are, I mean no harm whatsoever. I guess it should have direct my frustration more so towards FB. Yes, I have to agree it’s VERY ridiculous of FB to demand this. I was thinking the same as to just edit what I like and not necessarily don’t like (because of FB).

Too bad there is so much stupid red-tape to adhere to…sighs Still koodos to all the great designs!

:)

858 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Featured in the Envato Market Community podcast
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
Jordan_M Envato team says

I’m pretty sure that Facebook only very recently updated these guidelines. Worth passing on!

by
by
by
by
by
by