1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

If your concern is that the designer (assume he creates the PSD only) just has a one time commitment, while the developer has an ongoing one, you should negotiate a flat fee for the rights to the design, and then keep all the future sales. You will take the risk that the design is not accepted after paying, unless you agree to pay the flat fee once accepted (that is tricky, because the finished theme might not be accepted due to poor coding or lack of features, which is unfair to the designer).

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

You shouldn’t split the profit. The obvious major difference is the ongoing support. A good design can take just as long, if not longer, to put together than the code. The code should be easy for any experienced developer (I’m speaking from a WordPress theme dev standpoint here). If it was just a one-off job, a fair split would be 50/50. But, since the developer will be continuing to update and provide support, it should just be a flat fee for the designer’s work. There’s simply no way to determine what percentage each person is putting into it because you can’t predict the future.

214 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
agusmu says

The most important thing for starting a partnership on Themeforest:

DON’T FORGET to make a written LEGAL AGREEMENT between you and your partner to split the profit!

It is really important because Envato will send the money to you or your partner, and then you or your partner need to send the profit share to other. We hope that Envato can split the earning automatically, but we have to wait Envanto built this feature for years.

We can keep arguing that nice design is the most important thing (in theme designer standpoint) or good code is the most important thing (in theme developer standpoint). But, once you agree to split the profit, you have to send the money to your partner, whatever happens to your partner, as long as you still use your partner’s design or code in a ThemeForest product!

80 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
urbanray says

Thanks fillerspace and greenshady for your replies, thats what I was looking for. The only problem is that its hard to pay a flat fee in advance.

How much you think should be a reasonable price for the PSD design ? I understand it depends on the buyer and seller, but I’m just looking for price range for the idea.

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in United States
CFXd says

I haven’t sold anything on Themeforest yet because I haven’t been able to find a designer who is on the same page.

Every designer I’ve found has been so stubborn (and some pretty nasty) that they refuse to accept the developer’s role is ongoing and thus they ought to receive > 50% of sales.

The conclusion I came to is the recommendation above which is that I’ll just need to find someone to sell me the rights to code their design.

Not to hijack this thread but what do experienced devs out there think is a reasonable price for a PSD file? Anyone actually submit themes purchased/licensed in this way?

15 posts
vcosmin says

Dont know on TF, but from what i heard prices are around 300$ per page, or 1000$ / per one simple one page theme setup

80 posts
urbanray says

Dont know on TF, but from what i heard prices are around 300$ per page, or 1000$ / per one simple one page theme setup

Most of the themes in PSD category (having 20+ pages) have average price of 10$ and do not even make up to 10 sales. So, $10×10 = $100/2 = 50$. So, I think $1000 is extremely high price.

15 posts
vcosmin says

Most of the themes in PSD category (having 20+ pages) have average price of 10$ and do not even make up to 10 sales. So, $10×10 = $100/2 = 50$. So, I think $1000 is extremely high price.

Well put it this way, if you want to code a theme for some one , probably you will quote around 1000++$ , as 50/50 percentage split seems to be accepted, the designer wil value his work roughly the same value. Bear in mind that you also at this price is a custom design made to your requirments. Maybe some TF designer will share some light regarding the real prices.

1793 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Are you serious? Just because PSD doesn’t sell it doesn’t mean $1000 is a very high price.

If you get HTML + WP, it’s $15 + maybe $45.

With 50 sales(which any theme gets, really quick), in my case(elite) I get around $1600, just from WP.

@CFXd If you’re interested in buying some already approved psd / html themes to convert to WP, drop me an e-mail

80 posts
urbanray says

Are you serious? Just because PSD doesn’t sell it doesn’t mean $1000 is a very high price.

If you get HTML + WP, it’s $15 + maybe $45.

With 50 sales(which any theme gets, really quick), in my case(elite) I get around $1600, just from WP.

So you’d be happy to buy a PSD template for 1000$, convert it to WordPress and make $1600, and in the end you will happily accept $600?

by
by
by
by
by
by