14 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
vcosmin says

Are you serious? Just because PSD doesn’t sell it doesn’t mean $1000 is a very high price.

If you get HTML + WP, it’s $15 + maybe $45.

With 50 sales(which any theme gets, really quick), in my case(elite) I get around $1600, just from WP.
So you’d be happy to buy a PSD template for 1000$, convert it to WordPress and make $1600, and in the end you will happily accept $600?

Almost any decent design / implementation will make at least 100 sales, even if in a longer period of time. maybe you get more. If you choose e nice design, is almost impossible to lose money.

173 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wiseguys says

imo 50/50 is fair (and I’m the programmer), in a lot of these threads I feel design is played down, as if it was easy to make a complete psd for a robust template “in a few days”, if that is the case I wonder why all of you are looking for designers. Also if you develop a strong partnership, the designer does a lot more than designing, helps in decision making, testing and a lot more. As far as “ongoing support” is concerned, I’ve found that if the template (I can only talk about html) is coded in a robust way and thoughtfully tested before release, there is in fact very little support.

You can be the best programmer in the world, if the design sucks, it won’t sell, so 50% of a lot is better than 60% of nothing. If I was you I would think more of long term earnings and developing a robust partnership with a good designer and not worry about a few % ;-)

3426 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

imo 50/50 is fair (and I’m the programmer), in a lot of these threads I feel design is played down, as if it was easy to make a complete psd for a robust template “in a few days”, if that is the case I wonder why all of you are looking for designers. Also if you develop a strong partnership, the designer does a lot more than designing, helps in decision making, testing and a lot more. As far as “ongoing support” is concerned, I’ve found that if the template (I can only talk about html) is coded in a robust way and thoughtfully tested before release, there is in fact very little support. You can be the best programmer in the world, if the design sucks, it won’t sell, so 50% of a lot is better than 60% of nothing. If I was you I would think more of long term earnings and developing a robust partnership with a good designer and not worry about a few % ;-)

BIG +1

I haven’t earned my badge by giving 30% to my partners ;)

20 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
CFXd says

wiseguys is only talking about HTML AND he’s also assuming that us silly developers think it’s possible to design a site “in a few days”.

Of course it doesn’t take designers a few days, just as it may not take us developers a few days. Design can be terrifically nuanced.

50% is a fair split for HTML in my opinion because I do see only a modest amount of support time needed.

But for Wordpress or any of the ecommerce platforms you’re crazy if you’re a designer and you don’t understand that a 50% split is crazy. Especially if the theme has consistent sales, the developer could end up providing support for YEARS! And the support is typically to clients who purchased the theme some time ago. So a developer is just supposed to continue for months and months, spending his time supporting loyal customers while the designer counts his cash and gets to move on to another project free and clear? That doesn’t sound like any partnership I’d want to be involved in unless we split the price of third party support.

I don’t think I’m “worrying about a few %”. It’s TIME that concerns me. Sure, a lower percentage of something is better than a higher percentage of nothing—but have you seen a lot of the other posts in this forum? With so much potential for unending support time it is crazy to split 50/50 on non-HTML themes.

Like I said though, remove that time from the equation by hiring support staff and 50/50 is fine with me. But I’m not going to support your one-off design until I’m old and gray while paying you a 50% royalty.

1712 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

So this is the whole idea wiseguys? Just because the designer did a theme that sells, the coder must accept 50% because 50% of something is better than 60% of something that doesn’t sell.

Really? So, if designer proposes a 80 – 20 deal, the coder should accept it, because 20% of 1000 sales is better than 60% of 100 sales of another theme. Are you serious?

I agree 50-50 with full HTML included, but for PSD, NEVER. A PSD takes no more than maybe 3 weeks or 4 weeks, while the coding and support part lasts for months, even years.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

haha!

Just wondering what will happen if Envato adds a feature for shared accounts to encourage team work between strangers! :D

Personally I am a designer + coder myself. Everyday there is little war between me and myself, whenever a questing comes “who is the contributor / culprit?” :D

939 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

You must split the developer into 2 parts – development and support. If you both hire a support guy then 50-50 is ok. But if the dev is the support he must be payed just as that support guy would be.

5751 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

You must split the developer into 2 parts – development and support. If you both hire a support guy then 50-50 is ok. But if the dev is the support he must be payed just as that support guy would be.

In this case, poor guys = Support dev & buyer ;)

94 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
webTypo says
Most of the themes in PSD category (having 20+ pages) have average price of 10$ and do not even make up to 10 sales. So, $10×10 = $100/2 = 50$. So, I think $1000 is extremely high price.

Very bad approach to estimate the value of the designs here.

Is a top seller psd worth $ 1000 to you perhaps?

Avada for example, which sold over 300 times in the past 9 months, made $ 1500/2 $750

you still think $ 1000 would be an extremely high price for it?

FinalDestiny is right.

This doesn’t show the value of the design.

A decent design in good hands can go a long way here. Don’t let the $ 10 price tag fool you.

PSD category works also as a marketplace within marketplace, lot of designers put up their designs to find buyers or partners among ThemeForest authors, who will create the HTML/WP versions of their work, either for a fixed price or for %

A reasonable price for a decent design is somewhere between $ 1000 – $ 2000 if the designer decides to sell it for a fixed price.

173 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wiseguys says

@CFXd, the OP mentioned “Designer creates the design and his job is done in some days”, not me.
And also, I am the developer in our team, I wasn’t talking down “silly developers” :-)

@FinalDestiny, that’s not what I said, I didn’t say the designer can decide his share.

Anyway, it’s just my opinion, you guys can do what you think is best for you, but just to be clear, when I say 50-50 is fair, I mean psd to html or html to wp. But most importantly, I’m talking about a long term partnership, it’s not as simple as psd to this or html to that.

-Greg

by
by
by
by
by
by