6085 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says
Possible solution: Refuse the project on a commercial basis but take the brief (more or less) and make it your own project. A friend of mine asked me to go album art for him, I had never done this kind of work, he ofc assumed I was going to do it for free and I made it perfectly clear that I do not take ANY responsibility for anything whatsoever.

+1 nothing worked better than this in my experience.

1728 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+6 more
Firsh says
Possible solution: Refuse the project on a commercial basis but take the brief (more or less) and make it your own project. A friend of mine asked me to go album art for him, I had never done this kind of work, he ofc assumed I was going to do it for free and I made it perfectly clear that I do not take ANY responsibility for anything whatsoever.
+1 nothing worked better than this in my experience.

That’s a good idea:) If it turns out good it might be usable for someone, or possibly write a case study about it. In the end it can be added to the portfolio in some way.

226 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in New Zealand
Idil-Ciise says
That is why people charge lower than others in the beginning of his/her freelance career. Because you have no confident.

After a few projects, you will notice that actually, any requests came into your inbox, you can handle all of them ( Not those which is not in your field eg. if you are a designer, don’t take request related to programming ).

And if you are not confident, but you’d like to try. You better tell the client and offer a small discount. Not because you can’t do it and it may be in poor quality, but because the client gives you a good chance to challenge yourself. Sometimes, good relationship between client and freelancers start here.

That’s great advice.

by
by
by
by
by
by