• Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Switzerland
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

I don’t know if i am the only or first one with this idea or what other authors and web developer think about this: For Tracks with different Variatons or Samples: I would appreciate a option to upload a seperate preview file for each track, so that potential buyers ahave a better overview. It would be much easier to listen to the variations like this.

Of course that would only work on the items page, where is enough space for multiple players. For the preview on the other sites it would be too complicated and take too much space. For that reason i would suggest, that in those players all preview would be played in a row like it works now.

I hope it could express me understandable? What do you think about that feature?

39 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
descara says

This would be great! It would definitely make things more apprehensive for customers. Right now it feels like the system doesn’t encourage additional variations of tracks at all.

43 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Spain
nmusic says

Not a bad idea since I tend to think that maybe if customers don’t like your main version won’t listen to the rest and sometimes variations change a piece a lot, at least sometimes in my case :-)

1990 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Switzerland
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

Right, that’s what i tought too!

290 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
SchwartzSound says

Yes this is a definite need, along with the new search functionality, to give buyers access to more specific info and promote item flexibility.

Either:
  • Multiple preview files
  • Or a single preview file with extra metadata that adds markers to a clickable/seekable timeline that differentiates each item version and allows easy/instant access to hear it. This is certainly possible in both Flash or HTML5 .
  • Or better yet a clickable waveform display timeline, with markers as well (a la SoundCloud, with track/version markers in place of comments)
I’d like to see the metadata implementation regardless of the audio preview player functionality so that this extra information can be included in the new search feature down the line, so for instance buyers searching for a “1 minute” long track will be able to see that you have a “1 minute” version as well rather than only the duration of the main/full track. It’s a matter of simply adding a few more info fields to the item upload page:
  1. Multiple versions included (Yes/No)
  2. If yes, 5 more inputs pop up (since there is currently a 5 track limit) that lets you enter:
    • Duration of each version
    • Dropdown menu for type of variation (Is it a: “Alternate Mix”, “Loop”, “Commercial Cut” i.e. “1-Minute Cut”, “30-Second Cut”, “Logo”, etc.)

The author then enters the tracks’ info/duration in the order it appears in the audio preview file, and the player widget would be able to extrapolate the duration info to easily and dynamically add the markers to the player timeline.

Here’s hoping!

1990 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Switzerland
+4 more
matsteiner Reviewer says

thanks SchwartzSound, you’re perfecting my request!

Great ideas!

142 posts Just Believe!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Melodality says

Great ideas here!

I think this one’s the best: “Clickable waveform display timeline with markers (a la Soundcloud)”.

1118 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

I can only agree. The Soundcloud player is the standard to what people get used to nowadays. AJ should not wait for to long until they get rid of that Flash Audio Player. Waveforms with cue points as Schwartz said, is the best option! And as Envato always prays, authors should only go for their best work to upload, Envato should also only reach for the best :) Money to develop this, should not be an issue i guess ;)

128 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
SoundWavesMusic says

This is a very nice idea Mat. This will give us a lot more creative space.

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
JasonGraham says

+1 to the SoundCloud-style clickable waveform. Listeners need a good way to quickly scan a track.

At the very least, it would be nice if you could advance tracks to skim through them. When I try this, it just starts the song over, unless I wait a while until the track fully loads (maybe?).

by
by
by
by
by
by