• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

Chances are this has been raised before – I did a quick search on here with nothing coming back so here goes.

It’d be super helpful for authors to be able to contact the buyers of our templates – I’m not talking access to their usernames/emails or anything like that, I’d be happy with a simple contact form that went to “all purchasers of this theme”.

I really think it’d help the ocmmunication between buyers and authors, not to mention getting really valuable feedback – I mean I struggle getting folks to rate files, it’s a useless system.

Pleeeeeeeeeease can you at least think about it, I’m sure you can think of a really smart/neat way of implementing it, and even and opt-out if buyers really don’t want us contacting them.

1799 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
BroOf says

You didn’t found something about this topic? It was discussed 1000 times! But I am with you in this ;) Would love this feature..

3256 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+4 more
ParkerAndKent says

+1 also if this kind of system could be abused by authors spamming about their new products… would be useful an automated mail anytime we make an update and a monthly reminder about new products by the author and rating system.

Obviously this system could be perfectioned adding a checkbox “I want to receive updates via mail about updates/new author files”

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

this will never happen. privacy is the problem, noone signed up for mass emailing.

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

Why not setup your own mailing list with something like Mailchimp and do it yourself? :)

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

Why not setup your own mailing list with something like Mailchimp and do it yourself? :)

Because the client emails are confidential.

And +1 on your suggestion, jeff. It’s a long time coming.

1799 posts
  • Germany
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
BroOf says

Think of a buyer who bought lets say 400 items :) He would get spammed with mails…

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
digitalimpact says

I think you didn’t fully understand what I was suggesting.

Jami, yes, buyer emails are confidential. But you didn’t even read what I wrote :) ... If you create a newsletter and customers subscribe, what’s wrong with that? They give you permission to send them email updates to an address they specify. (i.e. you setup a form on your site and customers can subscribe there…)

Nobody forces them to sign up and you state exactly what you send them and how often.

BroOf – yeah, that’d be awful. But I doubt anyone here would sign up to receive emails from 400 different authors. That’s what RSS is for. And spammed…not really, if they ask to be emailed, it has nothing to do with it. :)

Another idea, for WP themes, would be to build upon Unisphere’s code and display some sort of “announcement” in their dashboard/theme options page.

26 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Passionetta says

Great idea but we do not need send an emails. If author update his theme, buyer gets a message on his/her Themeforest dashboard that the theme he/she bought has been updated. What you think about this idea?

1025 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
+5 more
Parallelus says

I’m going to be honest, I don’t think this is a good idea. I can easily see this being abused and frustrating buyers.

Besides that, I’ve only had one occasion where it would have been helpful. A support email was getting blocked by the customers mail server. The customer kept emailing me thinking I was ignoring him and there was no way for me to respond. Other than that I’ve never even wanted a feature like this.

If I were a buyer I would not want it either.

I will make a suggestion for a related issue. We need an ID (or anchor name) assigned to that contact form on author profile pages. I’m sick of typing, “click my avatar and scroll down the page to the form on the right”, when I could just link to “tf.net/user/myname#contact_form”.

by
by
by
by
by
by