595 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

What’s the point of featuring the top authors or authors who’ve already been featured before, again and again .. shouldn’t newer or other authors be given the spotlight instead?

3179 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+15 more
dtbaker Moderator says

http://codecanyon.net/page/top_new_sellers

Possibly check out what the top authors have been doing (generally a blog post will explain why they were picked to be featured) and see if you can do something similar to what they have done.

(eg: giving a free file away for a month, releasing a kick ass item, helping out on the forum, going above and beyond what’s required for support and/or documentation)

595 posts
+5 more
designcise says

how does the top new author thing work? i thought it was for people who recently joined the marketplace :S but the rankings show people who joined a few years ago as well ..

and come on dt! being featured shouldn’t be based on stuff like giving away a free file and stuff; you get featured for your work .. because when u have a free file out there, you’re sort of featured on the main page anyway :p

it would be a good idea if they had monthly rankings and picked a featured author from there maybe? one who hasn’t been featured before perhaps?

1040 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

The top new authors list shows people who recently joined the marketplace you’re visiting, for example someone who joined Themeforest in 2008 and Codecanyon last month is considered as new here from what I understand :)

102 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
RyanDavies says

I think there are many factors with go into who gets featured, it is pure speculation, but I think they are probably something like :

• How many good files does the author have?
  • Do they have a good average feedback / star rating?
  • Are they prolific in their releases?
  • Are they active on the forums?
  • Are their products suitably branded?
  • Is their profile suitably branded?
  • I dont think it purely comes down to the files you have for sale, front page real estate on a site like this is not only great exposure for an author, but it is part of codecanyons overall impression to new and existing customers, And for that reason, the successful authors will get featured more often, because they tick all the boxes, and will inevitably give envato a better return for giving that piece of space to an author for the week.

I am continually brushing up on the areas i think will help me get that coveted spot, hopefully one day I will :) Am sure you will to!

265 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
    • Has referred 1+ members
    • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
    +3 more
    eLION says

If it was me, I’d pick it out of a hat :D j/k

Being a featured author takes a lot of work and the ones who are there have earned that position. This is why they feature new authors too, so that you can have your spotlight because it’s not your time to shine yet but fear not, a couple more wax on and offs and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a featured author :)

595 posts
    +5 more
    designcise says

@ryan .. the current featured author is not active in the forums :p and in some other post i remember, jeff did mention some points upon which he selects the featured author .. but maybe it would be a good idea to make some sort of system or nomination by which the featured author is selected; after all it is a community driven website! and plus, there are some authors who have been featured again n again, one too many times! there are so many other authors, that i believe deserve a fair share under the spotlight!

2529 posts
    • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
    • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
    • Interviewed on an Envato blog
    +11 more
    JeffreyWay says

Hey guys—the featured author spot is really for either top authors on the site, new authors who are making a big splash, or authors who have released an incredible new item.

164 posts
    • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
    • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
    • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
    +2 more
    jrd89 says

Hey guys—the featured author spot is really for either top authors on the site, new authors who are making a big splash, or authors who have released an incredible new item.

What about authors who release items consistently who have a good amount of sales and a good amount of positive feedback? What happens to these authors, I think your system is too bias and is limited. Probably should reconsider the criteria, just my opinion.

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by