I’ve been working on a wordpress theme for the last weeks and have it finished 2 days ago. I uploaded it already and unfortunately it has been declined. Some of you can surely imagine how annoying such a rejection is, especially if you don’t know what’s wrong.
In the Email I’ve received, the reviewer recommended that I ask in the forum for feedback to improve my theme, and that is what I want to do now – ask for feedback.
I would be really happy if you could provide me this kind of feedback so I can improve my theme where it needs to be improved.
Thanks in advance
Here is the demo: http://demo.infuse.at/wordpress/quasar
I’ll try and give you a bit of advice from what I think the reviewer probably thought when they saw it.
- The dropdown menu is very nice although maybe the little New tag could use some work as it is slightly blurry
- The sidebar widgets have some nice JQuery effects on them
- The slogan text “Beauty is the summation of the parts, working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or altered” is extremely hard to read with the shadow on it. It probably needs re-thinking in terms of font/effect used.
- The header font needs re-working. It’s bland and boring at the moment
- The learn more buttons probably need some graphical work doing to them. Take a look at the top-selling themes on ThemeForest and see how they do their buttons.. I’m not saying copy their buttons, just use them as inspiration so you know the level of graphic quality required
I think just generally from the rest of the pages you need to re-think the typography and fonts used… and as annoying as it sounds the margins/paddings tweaked so they’re a bit more uniformed and organised.
If you use Chrome or Firefox they both have developer toolboxes that can show you the margins and paddings of every element on the page so you can work out what isn’t in line.
I hope I haven’t been too harsh with you and that you can draw some constructive criticism from my comments… plus it’s nearly 2am where I am so I’m pretty tired!
First, thank you very much for your constructive feedback. Its also 3am in the morning over here and I am also a little bit tired. However, I’ll try my best to implement your suggestions as soon as I can, propably in a few hours
My usual approach is to make things as standard and neutral as possible as for example a specific fonts could be only favoured by a smaller group as a widely spread font (like I used ‘Helvetica Neue’). Additional I offer options like a font tool where the user can set his/her own fonts. The same for color and styles
But maybe I should rethink this whole approach…
Again, thank you for your feedback – it surely helps me a lot.
cough pushing cough anyone else?
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.