148 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BonfireThemes says

Hey everyone, just got soft rejected for design reasons with this: http://bonfirethemes.com/smash/

The reviewer (a new one I guess, haven’t seen him before) found it “confusing,” “plain,”“generic,” “boring”. Just wondering what everyone thinks… :)

Thanks!

50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+2 more
senorthemes says

The design itself is great! Really it is but I do understand what the reviewer means by confusing (although I don’t agree with the rest of his comments).

Add a welcome heading above the home blogroll briefly introducing the theme, what users are in for etc…I didn’t know what I was looking at when I first came to the home page. I thought it was a gallery portfolio theme.

Consider adding page to page transitions. This is a clean design and for me just cutting to the posts was kind of a downer for me. Just “spruce” it up a bit and I am certain this will be approved :)

148 posts
+4 more
BonfireThemes says

Thanks for the feedback, senor. I actually have a loader plugin of my own, so I may well add that :)

Anyone else?

546 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
+3 more
LubosVolovar says

I think that this is a pretty nice concept, definitely not boring! Confusing? Maybe.

But soft-reject is pretty fair I think. You shuld really work more on the subpage typography, allowing the text to be spread to almost full width is really a very bad practice.

There are lots of small issues like when I click on the menu and then click on the profile, the menu won’t disappear and I can’t see the porfile popup because of that.

You just need to test it more and catch all the bugs, but again, very nice concept!

136 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+2 more
Konnessa says

I like the overall style of the theme, its not boring. It does seem to be missing that special something however I believe.

There are also javascript errors in Chrome on Windows and on Mac. Nothing that can’t be sorted out though.

148 posts
+4 more
BonfireThemes says

Thanks guys. I guess the “boring” and “generic” is what I had the biggest problems with :) I think it’s pretty unique. Always room for improvement though.

I’m working on adding new elements and definitely getting rid of the small drop-down and profile slide-down overlap. Going to set a max-width for the content as well.

As far as I can tell though, the js error comes from PhotoSwipe, which is a third-party plugin, and only shows up when there’s no actual gallery on the post/page. I guess I could get around it by modifying PhotoSwipe, but I’d hate to start editing third-party plugins every time they release an update.

Again though, thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has an opinion, I’m all ears!

by
by
by
by
by
by