• Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
mbudm says

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting back into the stock game after a 2 year break. I’ve done a lot of freelance WordPress in the past two years so I’ve decided to jump into ThemeForest this time around.

My first project is an adaption of one of my own sites. I have been recommended by the ThemeForest reviewer to post in this forum and ask for feedback.

Basically, it seems that TF like it but think it’s a bit too simple. I guess that’s not surprising as I prefer to make simple sites so that is what I’ve ended up with. I’m also a bit of a neat code fan so I prefer graceful degradation with older browsers and limiting the use of graphics and applying css instead.

So obviously I need to readjust my focus to what ThemeForest customers want – I’m guessing that this means more bells and whistles? More graphics? Graphic replacements for IE7 & IE8 ? (Ewww ;-).

Here’s the demo theme link:

http://themes.mbudm.com/ddboutique/

Looking forward to any feedback.

Cheers!

Steve

1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Hi Steve, first of all good luck with returning to TF, I wish you all the best.

About the theme, I believe it’s not good enough in terms of style. It’s not a bout lack of bells and whistles this time, I just feel I could find such a theme for free on WordPress.org, it’s just too basic. There’s nothing wrong with it, alignments are good, I like the typography, it’s just that. Too basic.

I hope that helps!

189 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
mbudm says

Thanks OE!

I’ve been having a think about it this afternoon and I reckon I have definitely focussed a lot on functionality and probably put design second.

Do you think it’s fair to say that in TF, the emphasis is more on design than functionality?

248 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • United Kingdom
dwhitmore says

Probably, yes. But the high-flying authors provide both in their themes, they aren’t mutually exclusive.

A lot of work needs to go into the aesthetics of your theme, it’s extremely basic in appearance (and therefore won’t sell even if it’s approved). Have a look over the best selling templates of the past year or so here and you should be able to identify what’s missing from yours.

Good luck!

189 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
mbudm says

Probably, yes. But the high-flying authors provide both in their themes, they aren’t mutually exclusive.

Sweet! That means I’m halfway there ;-) Back to photoshop now I think.

by
by
by
by
by
by