• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
PHILSE says

Hi, I’m looking to submit this Tumblr theme soon and would love some critique.

Here is a link to the test site.

The theme supports all post types:
  • Audio
  • Video
  • Photo
  • Photoset
  • Ask/Answer
  • Link
  • Text
  • Chat
  • Also, there is a Small or Large option below the Older and Newer pagination links, which will toggle the site between a one column post for small and a two column post size for large. The user’s preference is saved with a cookie so their choice will remain next time they visit the site. I’m debating whether this is useful or completely unnecessary. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

46 posts
    • Bought between 10 and 49 items
    • Has been a member for 3-4 years
    • Sweden
    OpenThemer says

Hi Philse,

I think you are working on some very useful functionality in this theme, but I think the theme lack on its design.

It a bit basic. Think about the top part, where the logo feels a bit rushed. The same for the top navigation social links, maybe some icons instead of the text would make the design stand out a bit more.

Also, I would like to suggest you surf around and look for some tutorials/articles about typography hierarchy, and work with typography in general.

In summary, I think this theme is overall god in terms of functionality but lacks (quite much) in the design.

Also, think about the end user when you are designing it, think about who this theme is aimed for when adding its content.

Good luck!

10 posts
    • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
    • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
    • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
    • Bought between 1 and 9 items
    • Referred between 10 and 49 users
    • Has been a member for 2-3 years
    • Exclusive Author
    PHILSE says

Thank you very much for the critique!

Think about the top part, where the logo feels a bit rushed. The same for the top navigation social links, maybe some icons instead of the text would make the design stand out a bit more.

When you say the header looks rushed, do you mean that there isn’t enough vertical spacing above it or it needs more thought put into it? Great idea with the icons, I’ll add icons for social networks and the basic Tumblr links (RSS, Archive, Ask) and then put a “Other Links” section in the footer for the user’s links that don’t have icons.

Also, I would like to suggest you surf around and look for some tutorials/articles about typography hierarchy, and work with typography in general.

Reading up on some articles now.

46 posts
    • Bought between 10 and 49 items
    • Has been a member for 3-4 years
    • Sweden
    OpenThemer says

Your welcome,

What I meant with when I said the header is rushed was that it looks like you havent spent any time on its design, think about adding another logo and make it feel quality and outstanding:)

by
    by
    by
    by
    by
    by