118 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Romania
+1 more
cippo says

I decided to NEVER provide support for Russians and Russian speaking countries, because piracy is beyond my power.
:(

They all admitted they downloaded from file sharing first, and said they purchased for support, and support is not guaranteed in any case. Very bad.

All the 155 million native speaking Russians admitted to have stolen your themes? :O That’s very bad indeed! How bad people are these Russians.
All people apologising for bad EN, they are Russians, they all admitted downloading from warez, and purchased for support. It’s so easy to find them.. just 2 or 3 questions. I don’t know if 150mil Russians are like this, but my conclusion is about to get final.

dnp, from my point of view, it’s a lack of professionalism to judge and blame a full nation only for a few. I think we should look in our own yard. You wanna tell me that you never ever in your life downloaded something illegally?

As for items, you can write something like this in your documentation or wherever else: ‘If you like this theme, please support the developer and buy it’ or something like that.

All the best

1732 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

dnp, from my point of view, it’s a lack of professionalism to judge and blame a full nation only for a few. I think we should look in our own yard. You wanna tell me that you never ever in your life downloaded something illegally?

As for items, you can write something like this in your documentation or wherever else: ‘If you like this theme, please support the developer and buy it’ or something like that.

All the best

Yes, I did, I was 20s, I was doing it for learning and not to make money. I had no idea how to make money using the templates, yet.

Anyways, I know I cannot take a few dozens into account for an entire nation, that is why I said I could reconsider. What frustrates me, is their natural way to admit : “yes I downloaded from warez but I bought your theme because I need help”. What would you do in this case knowing you could easily be either cheated?

You know what the problem is? The problem is that these bad sites do not host the downlodable files. I tried to do this on my own and got no where. This is one of those issues that you cannot do anything about neither can Envato. It’s one of those things that you get used to because the odds are against you or me. The darkside is just too big and there are more and more of these sites that pop up everyday so even if you close one down there are 5 that start up. We just have to count on our true customers that actually buy our files. You can always get them to email you so you can check if they did or did not purchase your file. Once you know you can say that you are not providing any support for the ones that did not buy.

I would like to remind you that I sent DMCA notice to heroturko and did nothing, then sent the same notices to godaddy, and explained what happened, and this took the site offline within minutes. They apologized for their client, they even banned him. So it does work, trust me.

The real problem is that there are some hostings, I suspect, who get percent based revenues from these websites and even help them survive, even if they state that they respect the privacy and copyright laws, and these hostings are from countries where DMCA common laws do not apply, like Netherlands, Denmark etc.

What I want to say is that a professional legal /abuse team at Envato would be much more efficient, as they don’t get frustrated as we do for obvious reasons, and only have one purpose: to SQUASH THE BUGS and MAKE SURE THEY REST IN PEACE . As I was explaining to some friend, we have to give them no choice, no hostings should approve such website, because they won’t want to mess with US. THAT IS THE POINT .

Again: freshkiller like tools is no solution, entire sites takedown, that is a real solution.

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

I guess in this notion we are all hypocrites, since we all have dled , movies and songs from this kind of sites yet a lot of people see big music and movie corporations as bad guys that try to fight to get down filesharing sites, and this corporations have a lot more money and power then envato and hardly ever succeed . So this issue goes beyond our problems. Just when it affect us directly then it becomes our problem. That is the way life works in this manor.

cheers

3751 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

After some years being author here on Envato (not Themeforest, but this is same s* for everyone), here are my thoughts and lessons i learnt, in case they could be helpful for new and angry authors.

1. Fighting piracy is a lost battle. Big companies can’t fight properly against it, neither Envato, much less us, small independent authors, even if we join forces.

2. Expending time fighting is just wasting it. You can take down 1000 urls with DMCAs, another 2000 with same content will merge in a couple of days.

3. If you change the point of view, you will discover that:
  • A really tiny percent of users getting illegal stuff would be real buyers. So, somehow you are not lossing money. Most of them won’t ever be your customers, anyway.
  • Is a valious extra exposure. Check your analytics and discover how many clicks comes from those warez sites. Think again on above point and asume that this extra exposure will turn into real purchases in the future (it will, trust me).

4. Don’t even waste a single minute searching on google for your files. I know is something difficult to avoid (mostly on the begining as an author here), but skip it, use the time working on new files or giving support: that will make you feel make AND will increase your incomes, much more than fighting the lost battle.

My 2 cents. ;)

+4 more
dnp_theme says

Whatever you may say, I will never give up. I believe we are more capable than corporations like Microsoft (with their legendary incompetence on browsers). Keep in mind we are a team of brilliant people here. Just most of us cannot see it yet.

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

I’m going to drop my 2 cents, not that anyone asked, but still! ;)

I couldn’t agree more with pez, piracy can’t be fought so it should be embraced

Going on a little tangent here… – It’s the same if someone is picking on you, if you show it hurts or offends you, you’ll only get the torment worse. If you join in at “laughing at yourself” it’ll go away or at least get easier!

So on that topic, if you’re trying to battle people stealing your themes you’re going to have a hard time about it, if you look at it that it’s a bit of a free publicity (probably not how we’d all want to get it) it’ll make your life a lot easier

I don’t agree it’s fair that those people then try and get support.

1034 posts
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Whatever you may say, I will never give up. I believe we are more capable than corporations like Microsoft (with their legendary incompetence on browsers). Keep in mind we are a team of brilliant people here. Just most of us cannot see it yet.

You know billions has gone into stopping piracy? and the best solution was sopa?

+4 more
dnp_theme says

You know billions has gone into stopping piracy? and the best solution was sopa?

SOPA and all that crap had a different purpose, to destroy the freedom of speech and the freedom of the internet, had little to do with Piracy really. In my opinion, SOPA should only regulate this case we are debating here and not privacy.

1034 posts
+2 more
BenSheppard says

SOPA and all that crap had a different purpose, to destroy the freedom of speech and the freedom of the internet, had little to do with Piracy really. In my opinion, SOPA should only regulate this case we are debating here and not privacy.

It was all to do with piracy, the idea was to record everything over the internet to track if it was being illegally downloaded, but no one liked that, and by the sounds of things neither did you.

3751 posts
  • Located in Spain
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+9 more
pezflash says

Whatever you may say, I will never give up. (...)

It’s up to you. Ethically, is the right move. If you ask me about incomes, sorry but my experience says you are wrong. I was trying to share what i learnt over the years here. But i assume everyone must follow his own path. Good luck! ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by