12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
uttaresh says

Hello!

I just joined ThemeForest and chose the Exclusive Author option. Now I have a dilemma. There are two themes that I want to upload here. However, I have already shown a screenshot of them elsewhere. I haven’t shown the actual site to anyone, and I’ve definitely not sold them anywhere.

So can I still upload them here? Or does exclusive selling rights also include exclusive preview rights?

Thanks for your time.

PS: I would have asked in the Global Marketplace section, but I didn’t know if that was for business exclusively, or even other things.

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
+8 more
JeffreyWay Moderator says

Sure. As long as you aren’t selling the template anywhere else, you shouldn’t have a problem. :)

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
uttaresh says

All right, thanks very much! Good to know I can still post screenshots on my DeviantArt account! :)

PS: I loved your tutorial on PSDtuts+ on converting a PSD into CSS /HTML.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
uttaresh says

Oh, another quick question: Is it OK if I show the working site to a few friends of mine on the internet?

And I know I’m not supposed to SELL my work elsewhere, but what if I give it for free (again to a friend I know well, of course). I don’t really plan to give it to anyone, but I just want to be clear on this.

Thanks again. :D

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says
Oh, another quick question: Is it OK if I show the working site to a few friends of mine on the internet?

And I know I’m not supposed to SELL my work elsewhere, but what if I give it for free (again to a friend I know well, of course). I don’t really plan to give it to anyone, but I just want to be clear on this.

Thanks again. :D
You can show your theme to anyone you wish, there are live previews too, so you can show your theme to the world :)

However, I believe it would be a violation of the terms to give away the theme for free. There may be exceptions, such as running a blog contest and giving a few away, but even then you would need the explicit permission of ThemeForest.

Hopefully, Jeffrey will pop in and confirm this for you :)

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
uttaresh says

All right, I have one last question: If someone purchases my PSD template, does that give him/her the right to sell the converted HTML /CSS? Or is that right still solely mine? Because I have an HTML template designed in Photoshop, and before I start converting it to CSS /HTML, I want to ensure that you guys like it … but I don’t want to give up its HTML selling right. :o

15 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Mango_Juice says

I believe they are allowed to convert to HTML /WordPress, but not allowed to sell it themselves; only personal use.

I’m not sure if there’s an FAQ (don’t have time to search right now), but these questions would be good to put in there!

by
by
by
by
by
by