3135 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
If anyone wants bespoke projects doing, give me a ring. I’ll work for free for the rest of my life.

I have loads of experience and none of it is worth anything…

so come and get it….I’m completely free.

Nah… Bad idea. :)

Just sent you an email. LOL

hahahahahahahahahahahah

449 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
Final_Step says
yeah -1 for me. Everything is practically given away at these prices anyway.

+1 The files are already almost for free.

509 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
5p1r17 says

Let’s give all our files for free!!! Yeah! :P

5167 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I feel the need to pipe up again on this topic.

It seems that the entire marketing strategy on Videohive is about undercutting. Stock already undercuts bespoke motion graphics (although it serves a different market). Videohive undercuts most other stock markets and most authors on here are busy dreaming up new ways to undercut one another. This is a race to the bottom. This ends up with your work being worth nothing.

Meanwhile out there, there are other people whose marketing strategy consists of the exact opposite – how to push their price up. How to give their product the kind of profile that people are prepared to pay more for. Turning your product into a Rolls Royce of a product. This is the much trickier proposition. Any old fool can slash their prices.

Human beings are complicated beasts, driven by all sorts of ideas of status and self worth, which is reflected in the products they choose to buy. Many people will shell out large amounts of money for products that have a little bit of extra value: hi-fi equipment that sounds a bit better, a car that drives a bit faster or for a Mac instead of a PC. The same is true in the creative world. Certain individuals command much higher prices than everyone else. They are not just designer / photographer / director X, but a specific name that people ask for, because they are a hallmark of quality. They represent added value.

Now if one half of the market is furiously slashing prices and devaluing their own work and the other half is furiously working to elevate themselves to the elevated position where they can charge 10 times as much as the next guy…what happens? We get a market that is divided in two, with one part of it making a mint and the other half working for free. Okay… that’s a slight exagerrration, but this is more or less what has happened to the photography market over the last few years, since the advent of digital and of the internet. The entire middle ground seems to have been wiped out. Now you are either a name photographer with a large day rate for advertising shoots or you are uploading your work on flickr. There is clearly still some room in the middle ground for the jobbing freelance photographer, but much less than there used to be.

Trust me…. video will follow in its footsteps.

So the question is, which side of the line are you going to end up on?

Isn’t it time we started to think up some ideas to add value to our work, instead of just slashing prices all the time?

-f.

188 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
Wlado says

Guess you are right,lot’s of files for free-bad thing,very bad thing…

175 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
adintermedia says

i don’t think that there is need for more free files. One free file per month is completly enough.

1282 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

hi felt, good points about pricing… the strength here is that it’s capitalizing on a specific market niche, and will be good for new entry-level users to get started without shelling out $50+ for a template, which is on the high side… some very complex templates (found elsewhere) are worth higher premium prices, many of the ones here are not the same depth/quality level, though some authors on other sites test out files here as well for sale.

getting price “right” is a huge challenge… I agree that big picture it’s often good to go for higher price as the market positioning (and maybe someday vh will have a vh-premium site area where more complex, advanced ae projects are featured at higher price points)... for now though I think they’ve hit a good balance of price vs quantity of sales.. eg some files here do dozens/hundreds of sales per project at their pricing, where I doubt any other ae template sites do (I buy from all of them, I know the market better than anyone probably)...

for my business for example, I was about to double pricing across the board 2-3 years ago, as I should be a premium higher-than-anyone priced business, based on my market positioning, but I’ve kept prices low throughout this last 24-36 months because of the world’s worst economy… getting Any sales in this market has been a challenge… when the economy gets strong again, 2-3 years from now I’ll raise my prices a Lot… but not til then, since people aren’t buying at high prices, anything much, right now, except for just a few folks…

I constantly test out price points, from free lead-gen stuff to very expensive products; it takes time and testing to find the market ‘sweet spots’, how much one can charge before sales drop too much… vh does a super job with pricing, it’s the toughest part of any business to ‘get right’... they need to do more advanced marketing tests like split testing with bundles, discount for buying a lot of credits, time limited special type discounts and more….

looks like they’re very busy with all the content management stuff though, the backend workload on this site must be a bear.

-k

1817 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
Mocarg Moderator says

Big No No to free files…

by
by
by