• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
MonikaM says

I’m wondering … in case you notice that one new file submitted is extremely similar to one of the older files … what do you do?

I mean … I’m talking about a very unique idea – file (not mine) with great sales. I’m not going to details here as it’s not appropriate.

So … what do you do? Report it or better send a link to the author of the original?

One more thing … the author of the new file submitted apparently saw the original … he even commented it in the file discussion thread …

343 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United Kingdom
JackHowell says

This is a tricky one as there are a lot of duplicate and similar files on GR, but, there are also a lot of improved files where people have seen someone else’s work and gone “I can do better than that!”.

I don’t believe you should out-right copy someone else’s idea but the saying does go “good designers copy, great designers steal” which basically translates to taking an idea and making it better.

If you think a file is an absolute copy and unfair to the original author then contact support; they will investigate and compare the files based on their rules and hopefully come to a decision as to what to do.

Too original: nobody buys. Too common: hardly anyone buys yours. There is middle ground in there somewhere…

2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

It happen a lot on this site,

I made an item about 10 months ago and it sold quite well, then about a month ago i saw a file very similar to mine but it was given a higher price,

I think a lot of the time it may be because there are so many file added everyday that thing quickly get forgotten and only a few people remember seeing a similar file.

but the is quite a bit of sheep mentality on this site people see a file selling well, then do something very similar, this is most apparent with bokeh backgrounds and other backgrounds.

I think you should only really contact support if you think they have really just copied a different file .

353 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
MonikaM says

Thanks Jack. I agree about the improved files … but I’m not talking about the buttons, banners and such. It’s about a very special file and this new file submitted is an absolute and apparently planned steal. Unless the two designers know each other or are the same person, which is unlikely …

I think this should not be tolerated. It hurts the community.

2201 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says

There’s no punishment for telling support about a file that is similar yet support disagrees. So feel free to mail support.

And yeah, HollowIchigo has a point, we get so many files that eventually we sometimes forget files from a year ago and approve something that’s very similar. Another issue is that there’s a team of reviewers and it’s not like all of us see the same files.

At this point in time, we basically don’t accept any bokeh background…it’s all been done. Other categories are not as easy though. We get a ton of button sets, most of which are variations on existing items. Everybody goes with the same flow because the same stuff keeps selling.

353 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
MonikaM says

HollowIchigo … yes, it’s sad. I think we all want to earn as much as we can. Sometimes I just can’t believe how far can people go to achieve that.

Sure, we all think alike sometimes, we all have similar ideas and are inspired by the same great designers … but to go and copy the fellow designer and do it just because you can do it … How many designers here can not make the pressed letter style with PS even better? I would do it right now since people are so crazy about it … but I won’t.

353 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
MonikaM says

Hi Arik! First, I must thank you for rejected one of my files a couple of months ago – it really wasn’t well made and I appreciate your comment on it – sometimes you just don’t see the flaws … :)

I know, it’s impossible to remember all of the files that were submitted in the past. I totally understand that. That’s why I asked what to do. I’m pretty scared of the support people though … so I still have to think about it :stress:

389 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
RZDESIGN says

I did the same with my latest file. But I mentioned in the description that I got inspired by similar files on the web. But then I just created it with my own style. I also dislike 1 on 1 copy’s, but I love getting inspired bu other work too, and I think that it would be awesome if someone also took the idea of one of my unique graphics, and created his own version of it .

Don’t see the harm in that. Especially when GR buyers can combine certain items with each other. As long as it’s not an 1 on 1 copy I think it should be fine.

178 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • South Africa
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
JinWook says

Well I suppose we’re all on GR to make money in one way or another but the way authors do that differs. I’m sure some authors will look a the trends and make a file based on what sells. To me that doesn’t seem too logical because if I’m going to look for a letter pressed style for example I’ll search for it and arrange the search by number of sales assuming that the one that’s sold the most will be the best. If author x has had a great letterpress style on GR for 2 years obviously his is going to appear first on the list, so I’ll buy it. I’m not going to scroll down 3 pages to find one.

I think in the long run you will get more sales if you create something original that no other author has done before that way if someone looks for an item of that nature you’re guaranteed to get the sale because no one else has it.

Besides, originality is fun ;)

353 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
MonikaM says
RZDESIGN :
I did the same with my latest file. But I mentioned in the description that I got inspired by similar files on the web. But then I just created it with my own style. I also dislike 1 on 1 copy’s, but I love getting inspired bu other work too, and I think that it would be awesome if someone also took the idea of one of my unique graphics, and created his own version of it . Don’t see the harm in that. Especially when GR buyers can combine certain items with each other. As long as it’s not an 1 on 1 copy I think it should be fine.

I won’t comment! Just one question … did you actually wrote somewhere who your ‘inspiration’ was, so that people have a chance to buy the original?

by
by
by
by
by
by