3085 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says
but the is quite a bit of sheep mentality on this site people see a file selling well, then do something very similar, this is most apparent with bokeh backgrounds and other backgrounds.

Whoa man! You read my mind. But you have to agree with me. Those with this sheep mentality ain’t made for the long run. Yeah they can make a partial income here but they’re probably gonna end up with nothing as creativity in the long run. I’m sure they can’t

HollowIchigo … yes, it’s sad. I think we all want to earn as much as we can. Sometimes I just can’t believe how far can people go to achieve that. Sure, we all think alike sometimes, we all have similar ideas and are inspired by the same great designers … but to go and copy the fellow designer and do it just because you can do it … How many designers here can not make the pressed letter style with PS even better? I would do it right now since people are so crazy about it … but I won’t.
Very well thought and said. It’s better to create something new. I’m sure it’s not just about money. I don’t know even have a clue myself how much I’ve learned after diving into this river. Yes, there are few times when I feel something’s going wrong but that’s the part of business. You can’t get everything fine no matter whatever business you are in. I remember one of the first time I saw a letterpress style here and I just thought “huh? What’s so good in it?”. Indeed, that looked awesome for the amount of sales. Anyways, making new items is also beneficial because we don’t know what could get craziest of the sales here, since the main factor is the timing. If one can create it at the right time, I’m sure it’s gonna pay in the end.
353 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
MonikaM says

JinWook … I don’t think that files that sells best are actually the best ones and also … then you have the same items as many others on the web. But I well understand this logic.

389 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
RZDESIGN says
RZDESIGN :
I did the same with my latest file. But I mentioned in the description that I got inspired by similar files on the web. But then I just created it with my own style. I also dislike 1 on 1 copy’s, but I love getting inspired bu other work too, and I think that it would be awesome if someone also took the idea of one of my unique graphics, and created his own version of it . Don’t see the harm in that. Especially when GR buyers can combine certain items with each other. As long as it’s not an 1 on 1 copy I think it should be fine.
I won’t comment! Just one question … did you actually wrote somewhere who your ‘inspiration’ was, so that people have a chance to buy the original?
I had two inspirations. Combined some ideas and took that concept. Then made my own concept phase and designed them according to my own style. I mentioned that the original idea was not mine, but the files I got my inspiration from also have their inspirations which are on the web. Of course I’m not going to mention names since they’re not the first to have that idea. :) Shouldn’t be necessary.
353 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+5 more
MonikaM says

Raincutter … So true!

2098 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I would say one of the best example of an author that has really done well in a short period of time due to creating unique files, that meets the markets current needs, would be north wood

So it is possible to get great amount of sales you just need some thing new and fresh, which gets harder and harder with so many new file every day.

I have had it where you get a good idea that has not been done yet but just dont get round to it in time before someone else does it.

3085 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Raincutter says
JinWook … I don’t think that files that sells best are actually the best ones and also … then you have the same items as many others on the web. But I well understand this logic.

You’re right. Not every file that sells best is really a best file. And as I’ve told about it in my last post, I’ll say it once again. :D You’ll see a lot of business cards, buttons, icons made a long time ago which were very simple yet they got huge sales. That’s the timing I’m talking about. Buyers didn’t got so many choices at that time. And thus spent their money on, which looked best at that time. ATM there are certainly hundreds and even thousands of files in several categories. Buyers usually have hundreds of choices. I guess that sorts everything out. I’m not asserting that there are only files which got sales due to their timing. Everything usable and beautiful has been purchased hundreds of times even at present.(Take a look at background category’s 10 bestsellers). Just like you’ve said, files that sells the best aren’t actually the best ones. :)

BTW support people are really good. Don’t be afraid of them.

[P.S.: ArikB is probably the most friendly person in this community. Bug him anytime.

Disclaimer: I’m not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform the above PS.

Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes, or other acts causing destruction, neglect, damage from improper use, incorrect line voltage, unauthorized use, unauthorized repair, improper installation, typos, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, disk failure, accidental file deletions, mud slides, forest fire, hitting of a deer, milk coming out of your nose due to laughing while drinking, or projectiles, which can include, but are not limited to, arrows, bullet shots, BBs, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.

OK I didn’t had time to write my own so I stole it from someone who stole it from someone else.

353 posts
+5 more
MonikaM says

HollowIchigo … I’m thinking real hard every day and night to come up with something new and unique. I’ll have to think a bit longer …

353 posts
+5 more
MonikaM says
BTW support people are really good. Don’t be afraid of them.

This time I won’t bother them. The ‘wolf’ trapped himself.

343 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

I think saying there are enough bokeh backgrounds is a con; bokeh is part of photography and is everywhere as it is – we are just “weaponizing” it here. Having said that there are a lot of similar looking ‘bokeh’ backgrounds here considering that it covers so many different types/styles etc.

But blah blah – I’m merely defending myself. When I uploaded my first ever item, a bokeh background (which I didn’t actually know was called bokeh…), there was only one other which was in a different style – since then they kinda took off as the marketplace grew.

I don’t think there can be too much of anything here as long as each new item, which may be similar in concept, excels past its competition in quality and quantity etc. I admit, I actually started putting together a “text styles” pack because I thought I could out-do the current ‘champs’ but I gave up because, well, there are so many and I couldn’t think of anything new to do.

The thing that really gets me miffed is sellers complaining that there item was rejected even though there excuse for why it should be accepted is “it is the same as this one” – not better, just the same… :|

2098 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says
HollowIchigo … I’m thinking real hard every day and night to come up with something new and unique. I’ll have to think a bit longer …

It really hard as a lot of thing i would like to do and enjoy making, may not sell that well, i often get ideas just looking through magazines, and adverts

by
by
by
by
by
by