3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Most of my work I’ve put on GR and AudioJungle I made because I enjoy it, usually commercial potential isn’t the only thing I’m thinking about! And you can tell by the amount of sales I’ve got so far…... :)

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

I’ve got time for a post before going to bed, hehe.

The issue of authenticity and attribution is present in just about any industry at just about any level. Usually it’s decided by time. The person who got there first is the person who can claim authorship of a certain concept. That’s basically how patents work assuming people patent their work straight away. With that said, a lot of patents are rejected because they are too similar to other patents. That’s a perfect example of someone re-inventing something and not being able to get any credit for it.

I could pull a number out of my behind and say that ‘submissions should contain 80% original work’, but what use does that have? What’s 80% original work? 80% of pixels needs to be original? What the heck does that mean and how is someone supposed to check that.

80% of elements? Well a pixel (picture element) is just that; how else am I going to define elements? Reviewing items cannot be done by a machine, apart from reviewing an item for technical mistakes. Big companies are suing each other over patent infringements and they have their best lawyers battling it out to prove who is right and who isn’t. This – I think – often boils down to who has the best lawyer. The funny part is that the judge in such cases does my job. :)

I already said this and I’m going to again. Being a GR author is tough. When you are designing (not making art but actually designing) you are trying to solve a problem. Usually that’s a communication problem, I can’t think of anything else really, maybe someone can. Anyway, it’s hard to solve a problem if you don’t know the problem. When you have a customer with an objective in mind then that customer knows what he/she wants as a result and your job is to find a solution on how get there. Here you don’t.

I think that for a GR author to create a mega successful item you have to be either a) lucky b) lucky in the sense that your style hits what most people want, without them knowing whether or not it fits their project/use c) able to understand the market. That last one is a bachelor degree right there.

In my case, I think I got lucky. I made my black business card in 30 mins. The aim of the project was to throw something out on the marketplace to make authors understand that I can at least make something that sells. It’s a card that is good enough for GR, but in my own perfectionist world the contact info is a little too small, the black mixture is off, it’s made in PS (not the best software for print), the subtleties can be lost in print, there is very little geometry &c.

The safest bet is to make a white card, with black text, proper typography and good geometry. And if I see that, I will sure as hell approve it. But will it sell? Will the average Joe recognize the effort and skill that went into that card? Probably not, the customer will go for the one that’s more aesthetically pleasing.

In one sentence: Lady Gaga will sell better than Yann Tiersen because she is preferred by a wider audience.

And just like with the Gaga’s in this world, there’s just a small selection of files that really nail it and whose sales blow up.

by
by
by
by
by
by