296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
CodeFusion says

@FrameWerk Freedom of expression is not the same as free beer – which is essentially what these file sharing sites were providing [stolen free beer at that!].

50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Adi101 says

Stealing – Taking someone else’s things Pirating – Making a copy of their things so both of you can enjoy it.

PLEASE don’t mix them up

61 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
FrameWerk says

@FrameWerk Freedom of expression is not the same as free beer – which is essentially what these file sharing sites were providing [stolen free beer at that!].

Maybe I put that wrong, what I meant to say is I am against the censorship of the internet in any way shape or form, and sharing is in not the same as stealing. Stealing implies that the original product is no longer in possession of the owner.

61 posts
+1 more
FrameWerk says

Stealing – Taking someone else’s things Pirating – Making a copy of their things so both of you can enjoy it. PLEASE don’t mix them up

Yes, this.

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Stealing – Taking someone else’s things Pirating – Making a copy of their things so both of you can enjoy it. PLEASE don’t mix them up

yes and no… were talking about intellectually property here(i.e graphics, music, movies, digitally created items) there for as long as it stays in a digital form its considered stealing or theft… if they are burning the files to media(CD’s, DVD ’s, hard drives) and redistributing them its considered pirating…

296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
CodeFusion says

Maybe I put that wrong, what I meant to say is I am against the censorship of the internet in any way shape or form, and sharing is in not the same as stealing. Stealing implies that the original product is no longer in possession of the owner.

No; you are only half correct!! [Stealing – Taking someone else’s things]

When you buy software [scripts/themes/graphics/etc], you don’t own the software. You bought the right to use the software according to its TOS /EULA. You don’t own the software until you buy the copyrights to the software; and when you do that, you’ll that you bought the copyrights – not just the right to use it.

• Stealing – Sharing copies of software that you do not own the copyrights to!
• Pirating – Selling copies of software that you do not own the copyrights to!
• Friend – Purchasing two [2] copies and giving one [1] to someone so they can enjoy – Perfectly legitimate and highly encouraged – as long as you do not give away more than you purchased – see stealing above.

As you said:
PLEASE don’t mix them up

Bradley

3445 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Stealing – Taking someone else’s things

Pirating – Making a copy of their things so both of you can enjoy it.

PLEASE don’t mix them up

While you’re right that piracy (copyright infringement) isn’t technically theft in the eyes of the law, your definition is overly simplistic and biased. This rose-colored-glasses explanation of piracy suggests that since it isn’t theft, it isn’t illegal – but that logic is flawed. Copyright infringement (especially distribution) is still illegal in most of the world. Please don’t suggest otherwise, especially in a marketplace such as this.

I think this excerpt from Wikipedia explains it succinctly:

Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as “theft.” In copyright law, infringement does not refer to actual theft, but an instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder without authorization.
301 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Reachground says
http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2012/01/21/megaupload/

So, did anyone see their sales skyrocket?

182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
SuperFlash says

well i guess that Anonymous will make some other acts to prevent banning piracy sites. Whats the next sites they will attack.

3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

It saddens me to see all of you dance on the grave of Filesonic. Obviously I don’t support the illegal activities some of its users were involved in, but shutting down the entire service is like shooting a rocketlauncher at a criminal in a crowded mall. Sure, they take down some piracy, but one can’t oversee the enourmous amounts of collateral damage they’re causing.

It’s only a small step from censoring filesharers to censoring blogs about political protest. Did we not all cheer for the ‘Facebook revolution’ in the middle east?

well i guess that Anonymous will make some other acts to prevent banning piracy sites. Whats the next sites they will attack.

If Anonymous is the only barrier between the US government and a free internet, I guess now would be a good time to start to panic. ;)

Oh and @JamesMoran what’s up with the latin-american dance in the thread title? :o

by
by
by
by
by
by