572 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Hi,

I’m interested in getting involved in some film-score composing competitions to network a bit and meet people, but wondering what the big ones each year are? I don’t hear much about those things, so hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Chris

1180 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

There used to be a competition by TCM for young composers – but that seems to have disappeared.

I can’t recommend (or know of) any major film score competitions but here’s my advice if you want to meet people and network.

1. Go to film festivals – there are SO MANY , and many of them have lots of up-and-coming filmmakers for you to meet. This is the best and most social place to meet filmmakers in my opinion. Everyone just wants to have a good time, so it’s easy to make friends.

2. Go to a film school and advertise your services. You might not make much money, but you’ll meet filmmakers. From your flag it says you’re based in the UK, so you could head to the National Film and Television School for example. There are lots of filmmakers in the UK,

3. Apply for Film Scoring Workshops.

I HIGHLY recommend this – especially the first I’m going to recommend, which is free if your work/application is accepted (you do have to play travel and accommodation)

http://www.ascap.com/music-career/workshops/#film

Richard Bellis – who runs this workshop – is an amazing mind. If you haven’t read his book ‘The Emerging Film Composer’ then you must. It is in my opinion a mandatory read for any composer thinking of trying to break into the business – because it gives you a no nonsense approach to every aspect of the industry.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerging-Film-Composer-Introduction-Psychology/dp/0615136230

Back to his workshop – I know 4-5 composers who have been selected for this workshop and they all had a fabulous time. Apart from the massive benefit of being able to record with some of LA’s finest, you learn an incredible amount in a short period of time. Competition is fierce, but if you’re trying to break into the industry – it is ideal.

Here is another one from ASCAP but it’s not free:

http://www.ascap.com/music-career/workshops/#buddy

There are also summer schools as well, particularly in the US at places like Berklee, UCLA , etc… but don’t pay for the stuff unless you’re really committed to it (that’s why I recommend the ASCAP workshop first, because it’s a free workshop)

Beyond that, Google Search is your friend, but…film scoring competitions are in general few and far between. It would be far more worth your while to score some short films and get your music screened at festivals and out into the public.

Hope that advice helps :). All of these methods require a bit more leg-work, but it’s actually really easy to make contacts and friends when you’re not sitting behind a computer!

572 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

Fantastic advice Gareth, thank you for taking the time to list those. Interestingly, one of the composers in the tacoMusic ‘collective’ has written for a number of shorts and made some good contacts.

I’d like to go for that first link you mention, the only issue being that I think hitching up and going to LA might be a bit difficult for me at this stage in my career. That said, I do realise it’s about commitment in this industry and I need to be ready to do that (scary all the same!).

I’ll also get that book, good recommendation!

Cheers,

C

+12 more

Well, that workshop isn’t going anywhere any time soon. You could always just plan to try it next year and start saving for it right now. Just think of it as a 4 week holiday you’re planning next year ;)

And yes, get the book. I read it cover-to-cover in a matter of hours.

730 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
TimMcMorris says

Richard Bellis – who runs this workshop – is an amazing mind. If you haven’t read his book ‘The Emerging Film Composer’ then you must. It is in my opinion a mandatory read for any composer thinking of trying to break into the business – because it gives you a no nonsense approach to every aspect of the industry.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerging-Film-Composer-Introduction-Psychology/dp/0615136230

Never read this book and it looks like a very good read, I am glad you shared! Just bought it :)

Thanks Gareth.

+12 more

Of all the books I ever purchased, which are many – that is BY FAR , the best one for this topic.

borissevastyanov
borissevastyanov Recent Posts Threads Started
242 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
borissevastyanov says

Cool information, Gareth! Thank you!

839 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Never read this book and it looks like a very good read, I am glad you shared! Just bought it :) Thanks Gareth.

Ditto. Winging it’s way to my door.

+12 more

Amazon should give me a commission :D

+12 more

...Posted twice for whatever reason…

by
by
by
by
by