809 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
matu says

I have a friend who has just found that someone has ripped his unique Wordpress site off (by that I mean it is not a template) and the offender has left code that proves that the site doesn’t belong to him nor was it created…. We will be sending in a DMCA but I was just wondering if anyone here knew of a way to search the net for other such sites via their source code.

Cant search for images as it is photo gallery site so all image are you unique to the user.

Thanks in advance for any advice

294 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

Google has an image comparison thing.. you can take an image from the template itself and run a search on it.. On google images, it’s the icon that’s a camera.

5490 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

copyscape

341 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Located in Netherlands
+4 more
RikdeVos says

This is a little off-topic, but how does someone copy someone else’s Wordpress site? Sure, you can copy all of the source code, but that still leaves all of the PHP code missing which Wordpress needs for its themes. Rewriting this code is too much work (especially for an offender), so either the offender is using a non-Wordpress copy, or your friend has a security leak somewhere which made it possible for the offender to copy the source files which is pretty serious.

3810 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

You can try this https://search.nerdydata.com/ depending on what you may be able to search for

809 posts
+2 more
matu says

This is a little off-topic, but how does someone copy someone else’s Wordpress site? Sure, you can copy all of the source code, but that still leaves all of the PHP code missing which Wordpress needs for its themes. Rewriting this code is too much work (especially for an offender), so either the offender is using a non-Wordpress copy, or your friend has a security leak somewhere which made it possible for the offender to copy the source files which is pretty serious.

The offender has just ripped it to a lain html site but has left all of the JQuery and comment specfic to his site still in tatic within the source.

I have since done a search on an email icon and found another 7 offending site still with code intact and one with actually copies of his image on their server in a directory.

809 posts
+2 more
matu says

You can try this https://search.nerdydata.com/ depending on what you may be able to search for

Thanks charlie4282 that’s perfect, it turned up another 5 sites

294 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

Two problems..

1. The web is too open.. anything you work to create can be stolen in a matter of seconds.

2. This place has a pest problem.. little invisible thieves hiding under the floorboards waiting for someone else to do the work for them.. There are even tools on CodeCanyon that will help others steal information from your website more easily.. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of those tools were used to steal your template.

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
KangarooSpirit says

There are scripts out there you can write, where if the site doesn’t match the domain or server IP it’s hosted on, the site redirects to the right one or the site replacing certain things for other things. It’s like hotlinking bans, but not quite. I’ve only seen them used a few times because they can be massively destructive to the thief’s business.

by
by
by
by
by
by