1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I always worked with PhotoShop, but after reading this article Denoizzed linked I’m totally convinced Fireworks is awesome! I’m looking forward to work with it.

That article looks at it from the perspective of building small sites or simple pages. Sure Fireworks does some nice stuff, but if you’re going to be building complex sites with server side programming or advanced JavaScript libraries, Fireworks just becomes a more limited design tool.

Let us know how it works out. My guess is you’ll be back to using Photoshop soon.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
webbs462 says

I’m a Fireworks person personally. Much easier to select/navigate through the layers. With Fireworks, you just mouse-over and click. With Photoshop you have to navigate through the pane on the right side and guess which one it is. With templates you buy here, can take a while just to find where something is.

Also, I find Fireworks optimizes graphics for the web better than Photoshop.

As a web developer and not a graphics design person, I find Fireworks much easier to use. Fireworks of course reads PSD files as well.

If I was a graphics design person, I’d be versed in Photoshop. But, since I mainly design for the web, Fireworks is my tool of choice.

1055 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I’m a Fireworks person personally. Much easier to select/navigate through the layers. With Fireworks, you just mouse-over and click. With Photoshop you have to navigate through the pane on the right side and guess which one it is. With templates you buy here, can take a while just to find where something is.

You can do this in Photoshop also. Click the option for “Auto-Select” when using the move tool and layers can be selected by clicking graphics in the canvas area exactly like Fireworks.

Also, I find Fireworks optimizes graphics for the web better than Photoshop.

I have never tested this but I would think the “Save for web…” option in Photoshop would do the exact same thing as exporting images in Fireworks. I can’t imagine they would want to limit one product in it’s ability to create optimized files. Especially when they go to the trouble of having the save for web interface in Photoshop precisely for the purpose of creating optimized graphics.

1611 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Brandon recently posted a great article on the pros & cons of each, personally wish they would just take the best from Fireworks and integrate it into Photoshop.

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/general/the-web-designers-guide-to-comparing-photoshop-and-fireworks/

by
by
by
by
by
by