738 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

I was taught Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks in school, would it be possible for me to use this and still get my templates accepted, or do I have to learn Photoshop now?

147 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
zecchin says

I think it’s ok, since you have the option to upload layered PNG ’s.
It would be good to add a note on the file description though, since most the themes here use PSD files.

180 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
SuperMario290 says

My thought is that you’d have to use photoshop, but with the new versions, I heard it was easy to switch between programs (never used fireworks before so I couldn’t tell you exactly)

266 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
DigitalHenry says

I design in Fireworks as well. I wish more people would so they can see the power of it. Keep using FW and use this for the psd conversion. :D

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
My thought is that you’d have to use photoshop, but with the new versions, I heard it was easy to switch between programs (never used fireworks before so I couldn’t tell you exactly)

It really isn’t that easy to switch between them, I’ve tried… Completely different toolsets and functions.

Thanks for the link Hairy, glad to see I don’t have to learn a whole new program as large as PS!

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says
I design in Fireworks as well. I wish more people would so they can see the power of it. Keep using FW and use this for the psd conversion. :D

Just finished a design and then tried converting with that extension… Having a few slight problems.

Drop shadows, gradients, and a few other things are very off, or don’t show up at all. How do you deal with that? Am I forced to attempt fixing it within the Photoshop file?

266 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
DigitalHenry says

Just finished a design and then tried converting with that extension… Having a few slight problems.

Drop shadows, gradients, and a few other things are very off, or don’t show up at all. How do you deal with that? Am I forced to attempt fixing it within the Photoshop file?

You have to set custom settings in the extension to “keep the styles” something like that. The vectors will be flattened unfortunately and any native FW styles.

2541 posts
  • United States
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
CreatingDrew says

I’ll admit, thanks to Henry (DigitalHenry) and his help on Skype, I have started using FW a lot more often as opposed to PS. I think if a lot of people took a few days to work with it they would find it much better suited for website designs and slicing than PS :)

266 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
DigitalHenry says
I’ll admit, thanks to Henry (DigitalHenry) and his help on Skype, I have started using FW a lot more often as opposed to PS. I think if a lot of people took a few days to work with it they would find it much better suited for website designs and slicing than PS :)

I’m glad you like it so far Drew! :D

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

You have to set custom settings in the extension to “keep the styles” something like that. The vectors will be flattened unfortunately and any native FW styles.

Are you referring to the 3 setting that appear once you click the extension? I’ve tried combinations of all three, but doing so doesn’t seem to address the problems I am having…

What do you normally set “Objects” “Effects” “Vectors” and “Text” to within the extension?

by
by
by
by
by
by