34 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
beardedFish says

So, I submitted my first site templates and got rejected. No worries, I have no problem fixing issues (which there are a couple that I totally agreed with). However, it seems that some of the reviewers feedback was more of a design opintion and even at that, could certainly be argued from a UI standpoint. Heres the templates:

http://demo.post-interaktive.com/templates/general/

Heres what they said:

1) The template needs improvements in visual hierarchy primarily using typographic elements such as headings. Using different sized headings for different sections based on importance will help establish a stronger visual hierarchy and create a more fluid eye flow for visitors (which means it’s easier to navigate and read). You might also consider reducing the contrast level of the paragraph text to allow the headings to be more dominant.

Uh, the headings ARE different sizes, and sized according to hierarchy\\ The headings are significantly more dominant.

2) The “More Info” buttons would work much better with the rest of the design if they used a type face more similar to the paragraph typography. You might also reduce their size to help with the template’s visual hierarchy. The idea is you want readers to first read the heading, then read (or at least skim) the paragraph text and lastly, click the “More Info” button. So you don’t want it to take attention away from the headings or over power the paragraph text too much.

Isn’t that just an opinion? I could argue that buttons are SUPPOSED to be call to actions and therefore more prominent than text or headings.

3) The typography needs improvements in vertical rhythm. You might also consider increasing the size of the paragraph text.

This one im not sure how one improves vertical rhythm – I mean the lines spacing is neither to tall or too short.

ANY thoughts on how to handle this feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, b

76 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • New Zealand
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
duane_ashworth says

I think i’d agree with the reviewer on the heading point , the ones you have in the content section (who we are, what we do etc ) work well , but the one you have in the slider section (Welcome o our website) seems out of place , I think if you make that one Sentence case rather than uppercase it would look better.

I’d also agree on the more info buttons , they seem rather busy and need to be more readable and accessible, as they are now they are overbearing.

The paragraphs text also seems to be a little small , it would go better with your headings if it was a little bigger and had a little mroe line-height added.

another couple of points ( these are jsut a few personal things for me but overall I think it could help ).

1. the head section seems smalled (horizontally) than the content , this unbalances the template.

2. the small arrow buttons on the slider could be bigger or a rounded rectangle to go along with your more info buttons

3. on the portfolio page the visit site text would look better centered (and a normal font)

4. your 3 content sections on the front page could be aligned better (vertically) , currently the sidebar area seems a little lower ( because of the heading ), i’d also look at maybe lining up the bottoms as well so that each section seems more uniform.

overall it’s a nice template , I do think though that the points mentioned do need to be looked at.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

1: Try to remember that the reviewers are not only trying to ensure optimal quality items for the marketplace but as we have a pretty good idea of what sells and what quality design is and we’re just trying to help. :-)

Uh, the headings ARE different sizes, and sized according to hierarchy\\ The headings are significantly more dominant.

To clarify (as it should’ve been to begin with), this is in regards to the home page where the headings are all the same size.

Isn’t that just an opinion? I could argue that buttons are SUPPOSED to be call to actions and therefore more prominent than text or headings.

No, that isn’t meant to be an opinion. From a design perspective, the “More Info” buttons obstruct a fluid eye flow in the overall visual hierarchy of the template. Visitors aren’t going to want more information before they know what they want more information about.

This one im not sure how one improves vertical rhythm – I mean the lines spacing is neither to tall or too short.

According to commonly accepted standards, line-height should be approximately 1.3-1.6 em. Your paragraph line-height is 2em (or 200%, however you’d prefer to look at it). Vertical rhythm in typography refers to the relationship between different typographical elements which should be consistent. http://drp.ly/2tj7

ANY thoughts on how to handle this feedback would be greatly appreciated!

You’re always welcome to reply to the review message with any questions or comments you may have. Your reviewer will be assigned to your support ticket (automatically created from your response) and will respond as quickly as possible.

I hope this helps! :-)

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
beardedFish says

I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback! That’s 3 to 1 so I will take the reviewer’s feedback as more valid than my view on these items.

jremick – thanks for that link on vertical rhythm, now I understand what the reviewer meant.

Time to try again!

Cheers, b

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
beardedFish says

Duane – I think you have a couple good points as well that could improve the templates, especially numbers 3 & 4.

Thanks again!

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says
jremick – thanks for that link on vertical rhythm, now I understand what the reviewer meant.

Just in case you didn’t notice, I was actually your reviewer. ;-) I’m glad I could help. As mentioned above, if you ever have any questions about your review, feel free to reply to the review message with your concerns or questions.

I’m always happy to help. :-)

34 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
beardedFish says

jremick – That happened to dawn on me about 30 seconds after after I replied to my “reviewers” email with a couple resubmission questions. Lol, gotta love Mondays.

Thanks again for the assiatance!

b

by
by
by
by
by
by