2 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Lethalogica says

I’m working on a HTML template for submission and I’d like some input on a couple of things since this is my first template for anything, I’d rather get it right rather than waste my and others time with inappropriate work.

The live preview is here

Is it standard practice to use php includes for the header/footer/etc when it is intended to be the same? This is much easier to use online for people but offline can be confusing, so if anyone could enlighten me on that…

I was intending to keep it simple with just static html, maybe a bit of jquery for a gallery, but I can code things if need be and I’m open to suggestion.

It’s all valid xhtml 1 strict and css and works in ie6 and firefox and all that, but any suggestions for code with regard to comments and nesting and so forth is welcome. I have read the guidelines and will be submitting the screenshots and help files for customising pages and setting it up and all that, but any general suggestions for putting the package together would be helpful.

Thanks.

698 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Croatia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
segen says

Nice graphics.

Is it standard practice to use php includes for the header/footer/etc when it is intended to be the same? This is much easier to use online for people but offline can be confusing, so if anyone could enlighten me on that…
I’ve seen some people had bad experience although the author intentions were the best, so….see for Yourself.
I was intending to keep it simple with just static html, maybe a bit of jquery for a gallery, but I can code things if need be and I’m open to suggestion.

Good idea.

I have read the guidelines and will be submitting the screenshots and help files for customising pages and setting it up and all that, but any general suggestions for putting the package together would be helpful.

Just make sure You cover almost every important topic on customizing Your template and You’re good to go.

14 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Bulgaria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Valcho says

I like your theme. It’s kind of fresh and really stylish. If you intend to use the include(); method, please make sure you explain it really detailed, and thoroughly, otherwise you risk your clients to not understand how to use it. Keep up the good work :)

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

For submitting templates to ThemeForest, I wouldn’t say it’s standard practice to use server side includes. I’ve used PHP for the same purpose in a few of my templates but I’ve noticed it can effect sales to a degree because people are not familiar with it and it scares them away. The best thing you can do is include two versions of the template. One in just HTML and one using SSI ’s. That way you give potential buyers options which always helps sales! :)

So, here’s my opinion of the design.
  1. I’m not very fond of the background color you used. It feels too heavy to me.
  2. I think the sidebar text should be a lighter color than the main body text so it doesn’t fight for attention. The date’s are big enough and dark enough that they over power the main content of the page which throws the balance off.
  3. The readmore links are pretty big and in my opinion shouldn’t over power the content before it. If you don’t want to make them smaller, I would suggest making your main body text larger which would also help balance the page in relation to the sidebar.
  4. I don’t see an indicator of the active page you’re on in the navigation, so I’d suggest adding that.
  5. I would make your logo brighter somehow. Maybe the outline can be brighter or something. It’s just really dull compared to the page content area and potential buyers will be trying to think about how their logo will look in place of yours. So you want to try to make your logo a good exampel.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got for now. Hope that helps!

1561 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I would stay away from using includes on templates destined for the HTML category, as Segan said some authors have had not so great results going down that road

2 posts
Lethalogica says

Thanks for the feedback and such, but I think i’m just going to refine it a bit, stick a simple layout on it and give it away for free. I’ll get something together with a bit more customisability to it soon.

by
by
by
by
by
by