64 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

So I’ve started to convert THIS theme into WordPrss. Now after three days I know something is wrong.

Theme is working, everything looks and works exactly like in the HTML version. I have just one page where you can create sections with shortcodes except footer where I chose to make some theme options. I can create menus and… well that is the problem. Everything seems to work! I know it’s a very simple page but I thought that making it a WP will take me like 2-3 weeks for the first time. And that is why I have some suspicions.

Now I’ve tried to find some guidelines in Envato Support Center but… you know ;) So I am asking you WP developers what should I check? Do you use some plugins for that? Also since the theme is just a one page landing page do I have to create files for blog display, comments etc.?

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Any Wordpress theme needs to have the blog section. It will be requested by buyers in notime. And widget areas. Chapters can be something like custom Wordpress posts. Portfolio section. etc. You can’t just offer a static page with wordpress menu on top :P

64 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

Well as I said now everything is created using shortcodes. For example the chapters youe mentiond I have something like this:

[chapter number="Chapter IV" title="Title goes here" info="Lorem ipsum..."]

You get the idea… Now the problem is that I actualy don’t have a better idea to get user a freedom of choice where to put stuff on the page. If it’s a shortcode – there you go. Put it where you want. If I hardcode a wiget area they will have to use this area.

I would love to make it nicer than that like for example the footer – It’s always gonna be there where it is. So I have a menu options where you just upload photo, fill the fields with info, and add your username accounts for social links (which you can sqitch on and off with checkboxes).

As for the blog section if users will demand it I would add it. The question is different. There are some one page themes out there without blogs. So even if the theme doesn’t use blog do I have to provide it?

64 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
CodeBotics says

There’s a plugin called Theme-Check, if you include everything it suggests you’ll be fine. I expect you’ll want to include a blog section at the very least, even if you don’t think it seems necessary. Also things like comments, they don’t have to be visible all the time but it’s worth adding them.

24 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

Hi there!

Make a good read of this page on the Codex:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

You should have enough to get going another couple of days there. :)

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

This thread is now in › Item Discussion

64 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

Hi there!

Make a good read of this page on the Codex:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development You should have enough to get going another couple of days there. :)

So you say I should do everyhing in the codex? Tags template, authors template etc? I was going for a rather simple one page WP theme.

43 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
MegaThemes says

shortcodes are there to be within the content of the post, otherwise always use widgets for a specific area where no post content is allowed.

24 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

Well… most of the stuff there applies for premium themes and for public themes as well. Tags and author template are queries that default to the archive template (archive.php) so that you can have just one file to cover all of them and perhaps style it differently or play a little with conditionals to bring different extra data (like the Author’s gravatar, for example).

There are a couple of things that I would think apply just to the public repository, but those are the least. If this is your first theme I would try to cover everything.

Out of that, I don’t know. Perhaps you could state it is a one page-one template theme and offer it as that…

by
by
by
by
by
by