2710 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Probably there are “political reasons” why this can not be done or maybe some authors have a sort of preference in the queue. I don’t know the real motivation, simply I don’t feel a real support from you.
Exactly. Really I don’t want to hurt but it is inevitable to assume that crystal clear solution being ignored in front of our eyes and there is zero help from staff on this.

I can assure you that there are no preferences or bias in the queue. Even if the #1 biggest selling author on each Marketplace submits an item today, each item will always start off at the back of the queue and work its way naturally to the front of the queue. Just wanted to add that before any conspiracy theories start to appear. :)

To help describe what we fixed here if it’s not clear (as it might not be as evident on TF as it is on other Marketplaces with higher volumes of submissions), this is why we removed the progress bar:

An author submits an item and checks on the status after 4 days:

“Great!”, the author thinks. “Almost there (finally!)”

Day 5 comes and goes. The author starts to worry a little. The author thinks it will get published tomorrow. But day 6 and 7 comes and goes too and the author is totally confused because she’s now seeing this on Day 8:

Because of the infrastructure of our queues (and the possibility that held items can be temporarily removed and added back or processed at any point in the future), it’s no longer possible to show position in queue, and this is why we decided to make the change. It was either this or take down the progress bar completely and leave authors with nothing which I don’t think would have made anyone happy. :) So the Review Team have tried to come up with a solution that can provide perspective and status on submissions but without the broken, and confusing, progress bar functionality.

Is this a permanent change? Yes. Will additional features or functionality be added to the item status indicator in the future? I don’t know. There’s nothing planned that I know of so I would not expect them anytime soon. Tweaks and refinements might happen in the future, there’s always opportunity to make changes if something is necessary, important, or can help improve things, but no plans as of right now. But never say never of course. I can think of several things that COULD be added here, things like, show the total # of items in the queue, show the date of the oldest item in the queue, add color or icons to more clearly show the status of an item and so forth… But they are not on our immediate roadmap. For numerous, solid reasons, the solution coming in a couple of weeks is what the Review Team have decided upon. The change here is happening and scheduled, and this is merely an announcement to share what’s coming as a courtesy. No-one likes hidden surprises, not even us! :D

Hope this helps answer some of the questions here and I’ll continue to keep an eye out for subsequent questions that I can help try and provide answers for you.

208 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
GDragoN says

I agree that bar was misleading and I am glad it will be gone. But displaying position X in the queue that has Y items is what we need, and I simply can’t understand why is the problem to show that, even if it is not 100% precise.

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
tamiq says

Removing useless progress bar is a good step, but we are missing the basic information now: at least the total # of items in the queue would be helpful.

1289 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

Honestly, what is the big deal? Really, I don’t get it?

Submit your item, once its Approved / Rejected you get an email, that’s more than enough for me.

I have no idea why anyone would keep coming back looking at the status of an item in a queue, that’s like sitting watching paint dry.

Start another theme, work on a side project, do client work, once your item is reviewed you get notified.

Simples.

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Is this a permanent change? Yes.

I know this will be a permanent change because this is the zero headache job for dev team. But a permanent headache for authors.

But just wondering that why the status idea suggested by authors being ignored? It can work correctly if you include the temporarily held items on queue until the item X reaches review point. Already explained in my previous comment. That’s technically possible with few additional lines of code. And it will work even if temporarily held items put back to queue or permanently deleted by author.

Anyway, above suggestion was with the assumption that only “Temporarily Held” items are the reason behind abnormal fluctuations. In case few other sceneries add fluctuations to queue, then there is no way other than removing the very concept of status / info.

667 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Honestly, what is the big deal? Really, I don’t get it?

Submit your item, once its Approved / Rejected you get an email, that’s more than enough for me.

I have no idea why anyone would keep coming back looking at the status of an item in a queue, that’s like sitting watching paint dry.

Start another theme, work on a side project, do client work, once your item is reviewed you get notified.

Simples.

You will never understand until you find yourself doing it, too. I don’t recommend it though. :)

On the other hand, I do like the fact you keep yourself busy while your items are in the queue. I could learn a few things from the way you work.

EDIT: Here’s an idea to consider. What if there was a number to indicate how many items will be reviewed before the author’s?

Reviews to Go: (56)

1289 posts LoveThemes
+6 more
LoveThemes says

You will never understand until you find yourself doing it, too. I don’t recommend it though. :)

No, I never will, it’s pointless.

Design -> Submit -> Rinse -> Repeat

6025 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Sorry but the more the marketplaces grow, the dev team finds “easiest to implement” solutions than finest ones.

@scottwills, I am pretty sure the amount of inconsistencies caused by Temporarily Held items etc will vary based on type of marketplace. For example, ThemeForest may differ a lot from GR and AJ. In such case, why not have different approach for different marketplaces?

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

No, I never will, it’s pointless.

Design -> Submit -> Rinse -> Repeat

Other people run it like a business, they have plans, ads, money to invest. If for you it’s just “do a theme, submit it, do another theme, submit that one => do another one”, it doesn’t mean that it’s like that for all the authors. Having an idea when a theme is approved is crucial. Being approved on Friday or on Wednesday makes a huge difference. If you don’t see/know it, you can ignore this topic and move on with doing themes.

1289 posts LoveThemes
+6 more
LoveThemes says

Other people run it like a business, they have plans, ads, money to invest. If for you it’s just “do a theme, submit it, do another theme, submit that one => do another one”, it doesn’t mean that it’s like that for all the authors. Having an idea when a theme is approved is crucial. Being approved on Friday or on Wednesday makes a huge difference. If you don’t see/know it, you can ignore this topic and move on with doing themes.

I’m well aware of running a business, I’ve been running my design agency for 10+ years.

If your idea of running a business is sat looking at a loading bar, you’re doing it wrong.

by
by
by
by
by
by