2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
In fact I developed a kisok app that required local file access for one client and he was so reluctant to force the download of AIR Runtime with his distribution that he had me wrap the swf into a Windows exe file with SWFStudio (of course he didn’t require it to run Macs)

:O no way, lol. Maaan, some people lol.

I wonder what is the penetration rate for AIR , I tried having a quick look and it doesn’t seem to be shown. 100 Million installs is quite a lot but not that much when you look at it from a global sense..

It was sort of justified in his case. His clients had a number of Windows kiosks which weren’t hooked up to the Internet so to distribute the app as AIR would have meant including an AIR Runtime install on the disk (if that is even allowed)

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
561 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says
If local file access is not required I tend to distribute standalone Flash apps as SWFs so the user can run them on Flash Player (which they will most likely have on their system).

Are you certain that a user with Flash only in their browser would even have the SWF file type set up to launch properly?

If you distribute an AIR app the user must download and install the AIR Runtime (which does not yet have the same penetration as FLash Player).

Yeah but that’s the same thought process we had 10 years ago about Flash player and now look at its penetration. The AIR runtime is of course a larger download but Adobe is bundling it with Acrobat and probably with other tools as well. Plus, as more and more cool AIR apps get released and downloaded the odds of your target audience already having it installed are going way up. And finally the install can be accomplished fairly seamlessly so the only folks who will really notice are us geeks. When John Q Public sees a free ‘hunt the wumpus’ game no runtime download can deter him from his mission!!

In fact I developed a kisok app that required local file access for one client and he was so reluctant to force the download of AIR Runtime with his distribution that he had me wrap the swf into a Windows exe file with SWFStudio (of course he didn’t require it to run Macs)

I have been a Northcode/SWF Studio customer and huge fan for almost 10 years now. Even though I’m using AIR more I still use SWF Studio for Windows stand-alones. Great product and a great company!

8269 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says
When John Q Public sees a free ‘hunt the wumpus’ game no runtime download can deter him from his mission!!

man I love that game :D lol

2309 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says
If you distribute an AIR app the user must download and install the AIR Runtime (which does not yet have the same penetration as FLash Player).
Yeah but that’s the same thought process we had 10 years ago about Flash player and now look at its penetration. ...

True, but as a small fish making apps that for the most part won’t be around in ten years time I’m targeting the current runtime/plug-in penetration. :)

LeatherwingStudios
LeatherwingStudios Recent Posts Threads Started
561 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LeatherwingStudios says
True, but as a small fish making apps that for the most part won’t be around in ten years time I’m targeting the current runtime/plug-in penetration. :)

that’s cool! I’ll be over here trying to catch all of the AIRfish!

by
by
by
by
by
by