136 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

I notice of late a lot of themes are using flickr images that use Attribution-NonCommercial for their previews..

I suppose the image itself isn’t being distributed, so it isn’t being ‘sold’ – but it is being used commercially in that clearly it is being used to derive commercial benefit.

Anyone know what the correct interpretation here is?

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

The way I interpret it is if the images are not being sold (i.e. not inside the purchased download package) then it falls within the Attribution-Noncommercial license.

3432 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says
ThemeShaper said
it is being used commercially in that clearly it is being used to derive commercial benefit.

I agree. I don’t think you can use non-commercial licensed images for a commercial purpose no matter what. Whether it is being redistributed or not is independent of the commercial issue. You couldn’t use non-commercially licensed images on an e-commerce site either (or any site that has commercial implications I believe).

In any event, better safe than sorry :) If someone is using images in an effort to earn money, they should be licensed for commercial use.

by
by
by
by
by
by