1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I’m at that point where I’m starting to research different retirement saving options. I guess I’m specifically interested in hearing from those of you in the United States. I’m a little overwhelmed with how many options and how many different companies have retirement plans to offer (and I’m definitely not an accountant).

It’s particularly tough when you’re self employed because usually your employer takes care of all of these details for you.

So, do you have a retirement plan being self employed? Do you have a 401(k) account? Any advice is much appreciated!

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

Lifehacker has many articles on this subject, all of which apply mostly to the U.S. Here’s one. :)

They also had an article showing why it’s important to save when you’re young, very good info there too, but I can’t find it. (basically it showed that you have to save MUCH less if you start early…)

+10 more
JamiGibbs says
digitalimpact said
They also had an article showing why it’s important to save when you’re young, very good info there too, but I can’t find it. (basically it showed that you have to save MUCH less if you start early…)

Exactly! That’s why I’m trying to get this ball rolling. Thanks a lot for the Lifehacker link too. I hadn’t come across that article yet.

3445 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Have you read Ramit Sethi’s book, I Will Teach You To Be Rich?

http://www.amazon.com/Will-Teach-You-Be-Rich/dp/0761147489/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314026489&sr=8-1

Lots of great info in there, and that’s really what the book is about – digesting the ridiculous amount of financial info out there and figuring out what you need to do to save. Definitely worth a read.

His blog is a good resource too if you like his stuff (and I think you can get a free chapter from the book to preview).

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/

Come to think of it, I should really re-read that… :)

+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Thanks for the links, sevenspark! I’ve heard of the ‘I Will Teach You To Be Rich’ book but didn’t know there was a website too. I’ll check it out.

The one finance site I do follow is http://www.getrichslowly.org which usually has some really great down to earth articles.

And I just want to put this out there that today I’ve learned that there’s something called a ‘Self-Employed 401(k) Plan’. Even though I’ve only started researching it, I’m almost certain that this is the route I’ll go.

2061 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

No, I’m not. I’ll let Future Landon worry about these kinds of things. Dang, that guy is cool!

by
by
by
by
by
by