3694 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Problem raised in video – people like to change phones – Phone won’t last long – Increase waste. .. Does it solves the problem? Or it just create another problem?

The problem they’re raising in the video is slightly different. They say that people throw away phones of which only one part is broken (for example the camera, or the battery) while the rest of it is still pefectly fine. Their solution is to enable people to only throw away the broken part, and keep the rest. Conceptually, that would reduce waste.

A more sociological aspect to this could increase waste, as people would be have an increased tendency to replace parts at times they would normally not have replaced their entire phone.

42 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
Oligzei says

Great idea, but how to get in life that concept?

Technically, you supose to construct ideal base for this phone and its super hard.

347 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+2 more
Gewora says

Problem raised in video – people like to change phones – Phone won’t last long – Increase waste. .. Does it solves the problem? Or it just create another problem?

The problem they’re raising in the video is slightly different. They say that people throw away phones of which only one part is broken (for example the camera, or the battery) while the rest of it is still pefectly fine. Their solution is to enable people to only throw away the broken part, and keep the rest. Conceptually, that would reduce waste.

A more sociological aspect to this could increase waste, as people would be have an increased tendency to replace parts at times they would normally not have replaced their entire phone.

Nah i would actually say it is better.

For example if you replace just one part of the phone insted of the whole phone, you can replace many parts to get the same amount of waste that you would get when you replace the whole phone. Well this sentence sounds weird. Mind explosion ^^

1660 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Awesome way to fight programmed obsolescence. I’ll support them.

200 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
bovver says

Wow it’s awesome! I think it’s really good project. Thank you for sharing Gewora :)

347 posts
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
+2 more
Gewora says

Wow it’s awesome! I think it’s really good project. Thank you for sharing Gewora :)

You’re welcome! :)

8234 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

I think it would be well received by open source communities who want to build their own phone etc, not sure how durable it looks though, drop it and it explodes all over the floor… not so good…

3694 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

My dad’s realism just kicked in, and I guess he has a point: what kind of company is going to develop something that does not need to be thrown out every few years? How will they make enough money for it to be profitable (or more profitable than the current ‘disposable’ phones)? And if they’re not making as much as Samsung and Apple, will they be able to be competitive, spec-wise?

I guess that’s going to be a bit of an issue..

42 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
Oligzei says

...what kind of company is going to develop something that does not need to be thrown out every few years? How will they make enough money for it to be profitable…

+1

347 posts
+2 more
Gewora says

My dad’s realism just kicked in, and I guess he has a point: what kind of company is going to develop something that does not need to be thrown out every few years? How will they make enough money for it to be profitable (or more profitable than the current ‘disposable’ phones)? And if they’re not making as much as Samsung and Apple, will they be able to be competitive, spec-wise?
Yeah that’s what i said in my first post. The big companys will not do this but maybe a not so big one.

No one knows how much would a part cost. If you replace the whole phone every 2 years for example, then you maybe replace many parts during this time and maybe it isn’t that bad for the company.

It is easier to afford a single part than the whole phone.

by
by
by
by
by
by